Music Streaming Devices for Audioholics

B

Beerman43

Enthusiast
Hey Folks,
I'm a little technologically challenged. I would like to steam music (from Spotify) to either my awesome Yamaha CX-A5200 surround sound processor or A-S2100 integrated amp. I have devices that can access Spotify via the interwebs such as my PC, but my PC's audio plumbing is not considered "audioholic" highend hardware. Plus the fan on the PC starts to run and ruins the sound quality of music playback at low volumes. Could you folks help me find a device that can access my internet's Spotify account, and send the music signal either analog or digital to my sound receivers that would make an Audioholic proud? I was thinking along the lines of a "CD player" or such device to put on my audio shelf, something simple but will not compromise the music quality.
Also, could someone help me with the terminology of streaming devices. For example, I already know my CX-A5200 can "receive" a Spotify music stream, but it cannot access the internet account, generate and control the tracks of music or playlists, it is simply receiving the Spotify music source like a traditional radio or TV found in a home. I need a device that generates the music signal, like the traditional local radio or TV station.
Thank you all in advance.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Guess im not seeing the problem here. Your Yamaha has all the features you need, wifi, Bluetooth, network (ethernet) etc. Looks like a pretty decent dac.
Unless your computer is ancient, you should have no problem or loss in audio quality hooking it up via USB connection. Or get a tablet and stream that way.
Once you hook the Yamaha up via Network connection, Open the Spotify app while using your computer, just go to network devices and enable the Yamaha. But with your DAC capabilities, I think I would be using a better music service for higher quality audio. (HD, High rez, lossless)
You can get all kinds of devices for streaming, but I don't think you need anything else.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Why do you need anything? From what I see from the specs on the A5200, it has Internet connectivity and Spotify built in to the processor itself, you just need to connect it to the Internet. Why do you think it can't access the account or control it? The website (https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/cx-a5200_u/index.html) says you just use the MusicCast Controller app to do all of that. Is there a reason you can't just use the Yamaha as your streamer?

If for whatever reason that doesn't work for you, you can buy a dedicated streamer which can be anything from a Chromecast or Firestick, to something like a Blusound Node (https://www.bluesound.com/products/node/) which would get you Roon capability if that's important to you, but I'd try everything I could to get the Yamaha working the way it's supposed to be before I spent any more $. That's a nice (and expensive) piece of kit, may as well make the most use of it possible.

B

Beerman43

Enthusiast
I appreciate your replies. As I already stated, I'm new to music streaming and don't understand all the tech. The Yamaha device states that it needs a smartphone or tablet to access the music features. My Panasonic Blu-ray player isn't sponsored by Spotify so I can't download the app. I just wanted to check with audio experts to make sure I understood the problem and was on track. I'll look into other music streaming services with higher resolution and lossless, but I really like the ridiculously huge music selection and library Spotify offers (literally any song I can imagine is in the streaming service, amazing). Thanks again.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Generally I just initiate the Spotify stream on my pc or phone for my avr to pickup via wifi. My pc is a fairly quiet laptop so no fan noise issue to speak of and I do things like post here while I listen to music via wi-fi (Spotify as well as my own content on the laptop). Not that familiar with Yamaha but seems it should be fairly easy to do.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
So you don’t have a smartphone or tablet? Then it seems like the suggestion above is your best option. However, since you’ve invested in a really nice piece of equipment, I’d recommend getting some kind of device to let you control it. If you don’t want a smartphone, you can still buy an iPod Touch and download the apps there. Connect it to WiFi and use it as the system controller

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I think it’s simpler to just use a Firestick 4K. YMMV. :)

I pay for Amazon HD Unlimited and Pandora Plus. I don’t use Spotify currently.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
OP, here's an idea outside the box: For just a moment you might want to think about an alternative to Spotify, like a subscription to Apple Music which you can enjoy from iTunes downloaded to your PC. Your amp features Airplay so you'll be able to instantly enjoy Apple Music streams from your iTunes Library to your amp wirelessly. And, the iTunes and Remote apps installed on your smart phones will permit access to Apple Music streams from your library anywhere on the Planet. With Apple Music you also get music recommendations, browsing, radio, and iTunes Store integration all synced to your iTunes Library app. Finally, iTunes allows playlist creation, CD ripping, and CD creation. The bottom line is Apple Music/iTunes is BOSS, period. And I've gotta tell ya, the sound quality of Apple Music streams and downloads rival the 24/192 music I have in my iTunes Library. You can download iTunes for free and you can try out Apple Music for 90 days for free, if you decide you like it the service it's only $9.99 monthly, allowing unlimited downloading of virtually any recorded music in the history of recorded music. This music does not need to take much space on your computer either since it can all be accessed from iCloud. Apple Music delivered by iTunes app. is the Daddy.

Last edited:
B

Beerman43

Enthusiast
I purchased a base model iPad tablet yesterday, spent half the night trying to figure it out. I feel like Derek Zoolander, "The files are in the computer......." I downloaded the Yamaha MusicCast app. and it controls the entire receiver and sound system. That explains why Yamaha included a way less sophisicated remote control in for their latest receiver models than previous years. The remote control for my 12 year old receiver is far more sophisicated and useful than my current CX-A5200. I will continue to learn from you guys, thanks for all your suggestions.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I purchased a base model iPad tablet yesterday, spent half the night trying to figure it out. I feel like Derek Zoolander, "The files are in the computer......." I downloaded the Yamaha MusicCast app. and it controls the entire receiver and sound system. That explains why Yamaha included a way less sophisicated remote control in for their latest receiver models than previous years. The remote control for my 12 year old receiver is far more sophisicated and useful than my current CX-A5200. I will continue to learn from you guys, thanks for all your suggestions.
OK, you've got an iPad, great! It will pick-up everything in your PC's iTunes Library automatically. Now, just put iTunes app on the iPad, if it's not already there, and you can control song selection from the iPad. The iPad in effect is a wireless source component when your amp is set to Airplay input.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis