L

LDanix

Enthusiast
I have a question about audio disc formats. I keep reading about DTS CDs and some other format that sounds like it is selling better than DVD-A or SACD. Could some one clue me in on these other two formats? (I could also be imagining things about another format). What I am mainly wondering is if they require special players to read them or is a standard CD player (for the DTS CD) or a DVD player for the other one will suffice; and I'm also curious about the sound quality compared to standard CDs and DVD-A/SACD.
Also, HDCD. I see this logo on several of my CDs but can only find a handful of CD/DVD players that also carry the logo. What is it?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
DTS CDs are music CDs that have 24 bit, 96 kHZ recordings compressed using the DTS codec. They will play on a DVD player if the player can decode DTS 96/24 or if connected digitally to your receiver and the receiver can decode DTS 96/24.

HDCD = High Definition Compatible Digital. It is an encoding technique for putting 20 bit, 44.1 khz recordings on a standard CD (which requires 16/44.1). When played in an HDCD compatible player or receiver with HDCD decoding, the player/receiver will 'decode' that signal as if the CD were actually using 20 bit samples. Think of it like the way 2 channel analog tracks can be encoded for ProLogic. They will play fine in a normal player, but one with a ProLogic decoder will know to extract the extra information. Same principle with HDCD. HDCD encoded CDs will play normally in any cd or dvd player - even if it is not HDCD compatible, you just won't get the supposed benefit of the higher bit depth.

All of the Van Halen Remasters are HDCD. I don't think they sound any better than the other non-HDCD versions I have, but as usual your mileage may vary.

L

LDanix

Enthusiast
When I'm shopping for a DTS CD what do I look for to distinguish it from the rest (if I'm just scanning over the fronts of the CD cases)? Do they have a large DTS logo on the front? Do most stores have them in with the standard CDs or have them in a seperate display.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
It will say it front or back. I found that DVD-A with a DTS is cheaper then a DTS Disc, sometimes by 10 bucks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis