Multiroom System Mono vs Stereo vs Single Stereo

L

l@e

Audiophyte
i'm in road cross regarding a customer deployment plan, in using ceiling speakers position and type
most of the dilema is for living/dining/kitchen all in one area of more than 100 sqrm.
the system will be controlled by multiroom solution integrated with the home automation part.
this big area can be considered as dived in 3 zones.
there are 3 deployments i can think of:
1- go with 100V or 4/8 Ohms 2 way speakers in dense grid to provide uniform music level.
Pros: good distribution of volume Cons: Stereo is dead

2- go with 100V (not sure if they egziist) or 4/8 Ohms 2way single stereo speaker (2 tweeters) in same config as above to reach most uniform possible.
Pros: good distribution, not losing any part becuase of 2 tweeters Cons: still no stereo effect

3- go with 2 - 4 speakers for each zone making keeping L/R separated.
pros: will have stereo effect at most stationary staying points cons: if moving aroud the volume will be with hi variation .

also a 2.1 version could be using less single stereo speakers ( not sure how version 2 will sound with that density of single stereo speakers)

thanks for any opinion

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
If we are talking about in-ceiling speakers, ditch the idea of stereo altogether. No one does serious listening with speakers like that. They’re only for background music.

If that isn’t convincing, “stereo” only works if you’re in the “sweet spot” dead-center between the two speakers. Who’s going to take the trouble to stand in the right location?

Again, this is a background music system. Just go with mono at all locations.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

L

l@e

Audiophyte
If we are talking about in-ceiling speakers, ditch the idea of stereo altogether. No one does serious listening with speakers like that. They’re only for background music.

If that isn’t convincing, “stereo” only works if you’re in the “sweet spot” dead-center between the two speakers. Who’s going to take the trouble to stand in the right location?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
thank you Wayne ,
that was my initial idea when i heard of the request.
what do you think adding in the equation 1 or 2 sub woofer for warming a little bit the sound or go with bigger ceiling speakers. (too much of bass from the ceiling im affaid will require extra layer or reinforcment for the false ceiling)

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
thank you Wayne ,
that was my initial idea when i heard of the request.
what do you think adding in the equation 1 or 2 sub woofer for warming a little bit the sound or go with bigger ceiling speakers. (too much of bass from the ceiling im affaid will require extra layer or reinforcment for the false ceiling)
If it is possible, have floor subs or in wall subs. If not just bigger ceiling speakers. It is just background music.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I agree with this for the most part, but I wired my sunroom and family room for stereo, and the master for a single speaker. All in ceiling.

That said, my intent was a little more than back ground music...I spent $800+ for ea pair...I wanted something with enough impact that could create a festive atmosphere when guest were over and also fade into background music. Not to pat myself on the back, but I think I accomplished what I set out to do. In terms of a critical listening space...nah they are not that by any means, but the speaker performance much better than you would expect for in ceiling speakers.

Absent of that...I agree with you 100%...mono.

L

l@e

Audiophyte
I agree with this for the most part, but I wired my sunroom and family room for stereo, and the master for a single speaker. All in ceiling.

That said, my intent was a little more than back ground music...I spent $800+ for ea pair...I wanted something with enough impact that could create a festive atmosphere when guest were over and also fade into background music. Not to pat myself on the back, but I think I accomplished what I set out to do. In terms of a critical listening space...nah they are not that by any means, but the speaker performance much better than you would expect for in ceiling speakers.

Absent of that...I agree with you 100%...mono.
do you think that "festive atmosphere" can be achieved by going in ceiling mono with 2 way 5-6" speakers.?
never used before single stereo and i suppose it is worth in small rooms or bathrooms more than having multiple around to shot R/L from many directions, i think it would be confusing.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
do you think that "festive atmosphere" can be achieved by going in ceiling mono with 2 way 5-6" speakers.?
never used before single stereo and i suppose it is worth in small rooms or bathrooms more than having multiple around to shot R/L from many directions, i think it would be confusing.
Yes you can...my brother in law has a true whole house audio...all 8" in ceiling speakers...one speaker per room.

I've heard it cranked up before...not bad at all.

In my sunroom, I can enjoy music there while I'm cooking on the grill, and stereo imaging is nice, but generally speaking you are moving/walking around, etc. and stereo means next to nothing. In my case (18' x 20', and 22' x 21') I had two fairly large rooms with vaulted ceilings so I was going to put two speakers in each of those large rooms anyway. I could've made both mono speakers I suppose, but I went the stereo route.

In spite of what I did...mono is probably the way to go most of the time with wholehouse audio.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis