Multiple Entry Horn Design

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
"MEH" for short. I haven't looked too far into it yet. Danley, I think, worked with this type of speaker. Scott Hinson has worked with it but info was not exactly instant on google and associated topics on diyaudio.com can run into rabbit holes pretty quickly. Mostly, I am just lazy today with regard to absorbing too much, technically. Just figured to put this here in the event that someone here (@TLS Guy, perhaps?) might have some insight to such a thing.

I have always liked the concept of coaxial drivers, but the movement of the midrange portion (which is the waveguide to the tweeter, as well) of the system has always kind of turned me off to them, at least with being an absolute hands-down cure to other more traditional tweeter/midrange arrangement challenges. Also, the midrange cone not being subdued at the small end around the tweeter seemed kind of haphazard just floating there.

Came across this video, that describes this better or faster than me linking to other sources, at least for now.

Video on youtube.

Last edited:
ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Are you going to build some? They do approach the theoretical ideal of a full-range point source and uniform controlled directivity.

I was hoping that James or Erin would get Danley's domestic versions in for a review.

You may have seen Chris A's fully active MEH in the diy sites where he participates. He uses Klipsch 402 horns modified for MEH use, and his threads are thoroughly documented with gobs of details and measurements.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Are you going to build some? They do approach the theoretical ideal of a full-range point source and uniform controlled directivity.

I was hoping that James or Erin would get Danley's domestic versions in for a review.

You may have seen Chris A's fully active MEH in the diy sites where he participates. He uses Klipsch 402 horns modified for MEH use, and his threads are thoroughly documented with gobs of details and measurements.
I just started looking into this. It showed up via algorithms for looking up limitations of coaxial designs over the last couple days. The other fascination due to the (as you are aware) ultra low distortion at even high SPL levels achievable with SEOS waveguide designs.

I admit that the design is intriguing and would be a woodworking challenge for sure. I saw somewhere, mention of kits (partial kits?) but haven't gotten that far yet.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I tried watching the vid, but for crying out loud, did he have to do it with a nursing home audience ? At 70 they even made me look young ! At least a few pairs of younger ears would have been nice..........

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I tried watching the vid, but for crying out loud, did he have to do it with a nursing home audience ? At 70 they even made me look young ! At least a few pairs of younger ears would have been nice..........
It's youtube. Sometimes we just have to take what we get. :) I honestly didn't notice the audience.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis