Multi sub connections - daisy chain or Y

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Which method involves the least detriment to the signal. A few examples to consider. XLR balanced connections.

( 2 subs )
a) Using a Y from the pre amp or avr, then one line out to each sub.
b) Or would you just use a single line out from pre to the first sub, then from that sub, use it's pass through to the other sub.

(3 subs )
a) Line out from pre to the first sub, then use the pass through from the first sub with a Y to connect the other two subs.
b) Or would you just use the daisy chain method for all the three subs, pre to sub one, sub one then to sub two, then sub two to sub three.

What if any would be the drawbacks or advantages to the electrical (signal ) connecting either way ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't have daisy chain options myself, but think I'd still prefer to send the signal to each separately, though doubt it would make any audible difference either way.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
I don't have daisy chain options myself, but think I'd still prefer to send the signal to each separately, though doubt it would make any audible difference either way.
Appreciate the reply. Like you, i don't know if there is any difference or not.
I just thought someone with electrical engineering background, or those who have experimented with both options, may have some insights as to which way is better. cons and what not.

All the research I've done comes up with various opinions. Just that, "opinions" on why they prefer one way vs the other. But no technical proof or insight of which method may or may not be better. I guess the benefits of either way are probably negligible. However it's always nice to use the best possible way, if there is one in this case.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious how many subs even have a daisy chain option....

ps You might ask in the data-bass.com forum.....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The signal will stay the same from the point of audibility. Probably using a Y adapter will induce less noise, since the signal doesn't have to travel through another device, but it won't make a difference. If you are interested in protecting the signal, make sure the cable is shielded, and use balanced inputs and outputs if they are available, like XLR connectors.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
The signal will stay the same from the point of audibility. Probably using a Y adapter will induce less noise, since the signal doesn't have to travel through another device, but it won't make a difference. If you are interested in protecting the signal, make sure the cable is shielded, and use balanced inputs and outputs if they are available, like XLR connectors.
Yes i am using balanced XLR connections. All are well shielded. (music only system is all balanced )
I am curious though, if one way or the other, which provides better voltage. Does one way lose more voltage than the other ?
I realize their probably is only a slight difference either way. I'm probably just nit-picking at this point, It's just nice to know which is the best way and use that best pathway whenever possible. Appreciate the input.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis