multi-room speaker wiring questions

R

rustyshacklefor

Audiophyte
We are building a home and I would like to do some in-wall speaker wiring. I’ve done the basics before, now I just want to step up to having a “B” set of speakers to control for outside. So here are my questions:

1) Can I have my “B” set of speakers be 2 speakers outside on the back porch and a set of 2 speakers in the garage? Can wires for both sets of speaker wires go off the same wall panels (L & R) behind the receiver to different wall panels outside and in garage?

2) To control these “B” sets of speakers outside and in the garage I’d like to put in separate volume controls, but I’m not sure what exactly to get. I’ve seen lots of the dimmer (round knob) types, but am not sure of the tech specs I would need (and these go between the receiver and the speakers somewhere along the speaker wiring route?)

2b) Can I use on of the regular volume/dimmer controls outside the house? (Under covered porch, but here near Toronto, so we get snow and below freezing to humid and in the 90’s each year…

3) Is there a good/better/best type of plug to use for the speakers? I just used regular wire-pinch style clips in the wall of my last place; are banana plugs or other style plugs better for attaching the speaker wire to the plates on the walls? (Especially for the outside speakers – they will be under the roof of a covered porch.)

Thanks for the help

Attachments

A

allengarman

Audioholic Intern
I have a set of 'B' speakers installed in my front porch. I do not use a separate volume control, as I always set the receiver to the same volume depending on the source. Connecting a satellite receiver to your audio system will give you hours of uninterrupted music. DishNetwork has a great selection of music stations. Reggae and classical are among my favorites.

I have been using a pair of Advent outdoor speakers for the last three years. While I have considered bringing them inside during the winter months, I have never done so. They seem to be holding up well. I used the standard wire connectors.

My only complaint is the lack of low-end frequency response from the Advents. I have toyed with the idea of installing an in-ceiling subwoofer. I actually listen to more music on the porch than anywhere else in the house.

R

rustyshacklefor

Audiophyte
Thanks - I'll look into the Advents...and the satellite is a good idea as well. When we move I've been considering a move to sat. instead of cable. I'd like to put in the volume control because my wife (and kids?) may well be inside and may not enjoy my taste in music when I'm working outside :)

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Volume controls

Rusty,
For your multiroom speakers, you should first consider that most receivers are designed to run the A OR B speakers and not A AND B. If you have multiple speakers connected to the B speaker terminals, then you will want to use impedence matching volume controls. These will allow your receiver to see an 8 ohm load (instead of 4 ohms) when two pairs of 8 ohm speakers are connected. The link below is a good price on a high quality volume control with the impedence matching feature.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001EMLRK/qid=1138291768/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl23/102-1055522-2164167?n=507846&s=electronics&v=glance

For the outdoor VC, you will need a weatherproof enclosure with cover, or an outdoor version of the VC. You might consider placing it inside by the door to the patio. For inwall and outdoor wiring, make sure you use speaker wire with an outer sheath that is CL rated. I would run the speaker wires directly from the VC to the outdoor speakers to eliminate exposed connections which would corrode.

R

rustyshacklefor

Audiophyte
Thanks - very helpful info. I'm rethinking and I'll probably just put the VC inside the patio door, still handy, no weather issues.
I have got the in-wall approved speaker wire, and I'll make sure not to run A & B at the same time (can't forsee that coming up much anyway).

I have to say - I posted these same questions on another forum and got no help from their "experts" (they told me go talk to someone in a store...I'd done that, I was just looking for some other opinions...) so I greatly appreciate the kind and helpful advice (no poo-poo'ing me away as an ignoramus who wasn't worth taking the time to respond too...). I'll be sure to bookmark this site for my future questions and A/V help!

N

NotherNewbie

Enthusiast
speaker controls

Niles or Russsound make speaker selector switch..both with and without volume controls..
I use I use a unit that handles 6 pair of speakers, with individual volume controls for each pair .. runs less than $200 on ebay

Russsound makes a unit with 2 inputs.. so you have a choice of what's coming out of each pair of speakers..

C

cowboy2006

Enthusiast
Thanks for tips. I'll be installing outdoors speakers very soon. The VC is a great tip.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis