MQA Question From Windows PC

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I am a complete noob which is no surprise. While I can stream my FLAC files form my NAS, I am trying to figure out how to stream TIDAL MQA to my pre/pro,

1) is there a way to send it to my Pre/Pro through my network, or do I am i better off buying a streaming device?
2) Second question, I am sure it's perceived bias, but is MQA even worth it? I think it sounds better, but there is no scientific measuring done to come to that conclusion

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't spend a dime on mqa, just a lossy bullshit codec IMO. You can get the same sort of content without that bullshit. You'll need special mqa enabled gear to fully unfold/unfurl their nonsense.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I wouldn't spend a dime on mqa, just a lossy bullshit codec IMO. You can get the same sort of content without that bullshit. You'll need special mqa enabled gear to fully unfold/unfurl their nonsense.
That's what I figured, the only devices I could find that really support it are the bluesound, which did not get good marks from ASR and the Acram Streamer. I was also confused by the fold, unfold thing. I have decent powered speakers on my desktop. Airmotiv 5s so I have done no real testing.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai

The "Google Machine" does wonders, found this interesting video on MQA

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If one wants to hear 24/192, or just see the numbers to feel better about it, try Qobuz. Tidal’s MQA requires the first “unfolding” in the software/streamer and the second in the DAC. If DAC does not support MQA, you will get 24/96 at best on 24/192 material.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

The "Google Machine" does wonders, found this interesting video on MQA
I was about to link that for you :) Archimago and others have basically come to the same conclusion. I'd go with Qobuz or Amazon depending on app situation so as to get such files without the nonsense.....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I do enjoy sampling the atmos albums available on Tidal. Not so much the reality 360 stuff.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The atmos albums are multichannel with atmos metadata. The reality 360 tracks are for headphones and make audio sound as though it is moving from different areas in and around your head.o_O

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The atmos albums are multichannel with atmos metadata. The reality 360 tracks are for headphones and make audio sound as though it is moving from different areas in and around your head.o_O
Generally a 5.1 bed layer I assume? What is the bitrate per channel/or for all channels together?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
That’ll all depend on the disc or stream. Streams will be limited by DD+ specs and discs by TrueHD specs. And, like movies, the album can make poor use of the format.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis