Moving from 5.1 to 7.1 surround?

U

Unregistered

I'm hoping some of you audiophiles might offer a suggestion. I recently bought the Polk Audio RM7600 HT speaker package (with PSW505 sub), largely because I'm happy with the similar Polk Audio speakers I have in my family room, and my wife likes the looks of the wall mounted speakers compared to the big, floor-standing or bookshelf models. Well, since I was having my basement finished from scratch with a HT wiring, and my new Denon 3803 A/V receiver supports it, I had it wired for 7-speaker setup.

My question is, what my best bet for matching an additional pair of speakers with my Polk 7600s? Should I just try to buy 2 more of the same satellites for the sake of compatibility or would I get better sound by using my 4 satellites as mid and rear surrounds and getting some larger floor-standing speakers for the left and right mains? (In the basement, my wife cares less about the aesthetics of the decor.) If I go for bigger mains, how important/hard will it be to match the other speakers? Suggestions?

I'm really not much of an audiophile, and I don't expect to spend nearly as much time listening to music in the basement as watching movies. My goal is really just to put together a decent home theater without spending more than I have to.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

--Rob

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis