Moving a large TV into a new house?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
We plan on moving from a townhouse in the summer to a house. Love townhouse living but with the HT it's tough. Anyway what is the best way to move a large 75 inch TV to a new house? I mean I'm thinking not trusting a moving company. Best way to transport it? I have a pickup but it's quite a large TV that you don't want to bounce around too much so the pickup bed might not be the best idea either. Just trying to get ideas, like a brainstorm of what you guys think?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've transported tvs in my van by wrapping in moving blankets and standing it upright (don't want to lay them flat) and just making sure they can't move around. Having the original box would be nice but they're a pain to keep around....altho you might try a local BestBuy or something to see if they have a box that would fit....

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I often transport TVs in my van, on their back, and blanketed. Not sure how far of a move you have to go through, so that may matter.

If you are using a moving company, then you would definitely want a box of some sort. You can buy TV moving boxes online, but it may be easier to ask online (Facebook local groups!) to see if anyone has a box they are getting rid of. Likewise, you may be able to go into Best Buy and see if they have any trash boxes you can have that are the right size.

This way you can pretty well pack the TV up and ship it (upright) safely in a typical moving van.

Anytime I've moved TVs, it has been a local move and I've put the TVs in my van. Never had an issue in moving with them.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah it's gonna be a local move, 10 minutes tops. Staying in the same town.
I'm just so sick of having a really good home theater and not being able to really crank it especially in the subwoofer department. I'm constantly worried about neighbors.
I just don't want to mess up this TV, is a big one and I love it. The entire home theater I will move myself, not trusting the movers with it. The speakers, amp, receiver, Blu Ray player, not even the Fire Cube I will trust them with.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I wouldn't worry about vibrations just about it falling over or moving around and scratched.
It is solid state after all. The box it came in to stores came by trucks and the solid foam spacers transferred the vibration well enough and survived.
If you have access to a van or rent one, have someone in there to make sure it is not moving around. Blanket it and tie it off as suggested above. Flat or standing up, either way just make sure if flat nothing can fall on it.

Oh, and drive slow.

highfigh

highfigh

We plan on moving from a townhouse in the summer to a house. Love townhouse living but with the HT it's tough. Anyway what is the best way to move a large 75 inch TV to a new house? I mean I'm thinking not trusting a moving company. Best way to transport it? I have a pickup but it's quite a large TV that you don't want to bounce around too much so the pickup bed might not be the best idea either. Just trying to get ideas, like a brainstorm of what you guys think?

While I fully understand that TV boxes are big, this is a good argument for keeping them, as well as the rest of your boxes.

U-Haul's TV boxes go up to 70", but you may check with the local Best Buy or some other TV store to see if they can keep one for you. Are you staying in the same city? If so, find some large sheets of cardboard, buy some moving blankets from Harbor Freight, wrap it and lay it face down in the bed of your truck with plenty of packing under it and drive very carefully. Drive when there's minimal traffic. If the pickup is a crew cab and the floor is flat in the rear, maybe you could stand it up and lean it against the back seats, with the seat belt keeping it from flopping forward during stops.

You could also rent a van and strap it to the side, using plenty of padding. If it's a short trip, U-Haul and some big home building supply stores rent them at a fairly low cost. If you hire a good moving company, they'll know how to handle it.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
For a 10-minute move, I would check with any friends or family for a minivan. A typical minivan can hold up to a 85" TV laid flat on it's back without issue. Just treat it gentile and lay it on a blanket or two and you will have zero issues. In a truck, on a nice day, I imagine you would have similar results as long as it is secured and has a bit of padding on it to keep it from bouncing hard at any point. I expect a truck may drive about the same as a van, the van is just internally covered and has carpet everywhere. So, you need the truck to be as protected as it can be before moving it, but I wouldn't expect any significant chance for an issue with safe driving and a bit of care over that 10 minute drive.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
For a 10-minute move, I would check with any friends or family for a minivan. A typical minivan can hold up to a 85" TV laid flat on it's back without issue. Just treat it gentile and lay it on a blanket or two and you will have zero issues. In a truck, on a nice day, I imagine you would have similar results as long as it is secured and has a bit of padding on it to keep it from bouncing hard at any point. I expect a truck may drive about the same as a van, the van is just internally covered and has carpet everywhere. So, you need the truck to be as protected as it can be before moving it, but I wouldn't expect any significant chance for an issue with safe driving and a bit of care over that 10 minute drive.
After thinking about my truck wouldn't even do I don't think. It's a Ford Ranger crew cab but the bed is not big enough for my TV. I'll have to find a new solution just to transport it.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Definitely take some measurements. I know I can fit an 85" TV in the back of my Honda Odyssey. I've moved a few without issues.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
When we moved, the moving company boxed all our TV's in wooden crates with supporting protection in the crate. But I guess it depends on how far you are moving and the $$ you are willing to spend. One thing we liked, along with the moving insurance , if they broke, it they replace it and anything else they damage.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Just because no one has specifically mentioned it, a minivan is a better option because the suspension is generally tuned for a cushy ride. If you put it in the back of a work truck (or a work van) without any other weight to compress the suspension, the TV will see some hard hits from any rough patches in the road.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
While I fully understand that TV boxes are big, this is a good argument for keeping them, as well as the rest of your boxes.

U-Haul's TV boxes go up to 70", but you may check with the local Best Buy or some other TV store to see if they can keep one for you. Are you staying in the same city? If so, find some large sheets of cardboard, buy some moving blankets from Harbor Freight, wrap it and lay it face down in the bed of your truck with plenty of packing under it and drive very carefully. Drive when there's minimal traffic. If the pickup is a crew cab and the floor is flat in the rear, maybe you could stand it up and lean it against the back seats, with the seat belt keeping it from flopping forward during stops.

You could also rent a van and strap it to the side, using plenty of padding. If it's a short trip, U-Haul and some big home building supply stores rent them at a fairly low cost. If you hire a good moving company, they'll know how to handle it.
This is why my attic has a bunch of boxes in it for TVs and other expensive things I don't want to break if I have to move them.

highfigh

highfigh

Just because no one has specifically mentioned it, a minivan is a better option because the suspension is generally tuned for a cushy ride. If you put it in the back of a work truck (or a work van) without any other weight to compress the suspension, the TV will see some hard hits from any rough patches in the road.
I have a cargo van- same shocks as the passenger version, but even with weight in the back (unless it's a lot of weight), it'll knock your fillings out, especially here, where the two seasons are Winter and Road Construction and they only seem to do major construction, not repair. Even with that, I haven't had any problems transporting TVs.

If anyone has to do this without the original box, go to an upholstery shop and ask if they have old foam- they often replace the foam when they reupholster furniture, boat interiors, etc. They may not just throw it out because A) it takes up a lot of space in the dumpster and B) it's often picked up by their supplier, who moves it on to companies that recycle it, to be used as carpet padding. That leads to another choice- carpet padding- carpet installation companies may have pieces of it.

T

tefeviil

Audiophyte
Hey there, sorry for jumping into an old thread, but I wanted to share my experience with moving a large TV. It can be tricky and risky to move a big-screen TV by yourself, especially when it comes to transportation. While it might seem tempting to save some money by not hiring a moving company, I highly recommend you consider it for your TV's safety.
I had a bad experience trying to move my TV by myself and ended up breaking the screen, which was a huge bummer.
If you're looking for professional movers to help you out, I came across ThreeMovers, which could be a great option for you. They offer a range of moving services, including TV transportation, and their team of professionals will ensure your TV arrives at your new house in perfect condition.

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Hey there, sorry for jumping into an old thread, but I wanted to share my experience with moving a large TV. It can be tricky and risky to move a big-screen TV by yourself, especially when it comes to transportation.
I’d make a new thread for sharing Your experience. Op in this thread never even mentioned if and how he moved the tv thread just kind of died …

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis