Movie theater execs fight shrinking DVD window

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Yahoo news
By Paul Thomasch and Yinka Adegoke Thu Mar 30, 8:38 AM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Executives from top movie theater chains on Wednesday dismissed calls to shorten the period between a film's release on the big screen and on DVD, saying it would be harmful to studios, theaters and consumers.

Some studio executives, including Walt Disney Co. Chief Executive Robert Iger, have called for faster DVD releases to combat rising piracy over the Internet, amid slowing sales of DVDs and a U.S. box office slump.

But executives from Regal Entertainment Group, the world's largest movie theater chain, and National Amusements Inc. disagreed with a narrower theatrical window -- the time between when movies are released in theaters and subsequently on DVD.

"Shrinking windows is bad for business and I mean everybody's business," said Shari Redstone, president of privately held National Amusements, at the Bank of America Media, Telecommunications and Entertainment Conference.

National Amusements operates 1,500 movie screens around the world, some of which have been outfitted with express concessions, leather rocking chairs, live pre-show entertainment and other successful gimmicks.

She said offering a fuller, more entertaining experience to consumers not only generates more revenue, but protects the theatrical window.

"We need to be focused on bringing the wow factor back to the experience," she said. "Movies are meant to be seen in the theater."

Films, on average, move to the home video market about four months after their release in theaters, a timeframe that has been steadily shrinking over recent years and eroding the exclusivity theaters used to enjoy.

Disney's Iger has even suggested previously that the industry may need to release DVDs while films are still in theaters.

At Wednesday's conference, however, Lew Coleman, president of DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. , the maker of animation films like "Madagascar," came down on the side of theater owners.

"We pretty much agree with Shari," he said. "We're happy with the window structure as it is now and we won't put any pressure on changing that."

Regal Chief Executive Michael Campbell said calls for a quicker DVD release were overblown by the media.

"I think the hype is greater than the reality," he said, adding that he believed the studios agreed on the need to maintain a window, which he said shrank by just four days last year.

"I don't sense there is a reason for the window to collapse," said Campbell. "I think the studios know that."

National Amusements' Redstone, who is also vice chairman of CBS Corp. and Viacom, said the industry should even consider extending the period between when a movie is shown on the big screen and when it is available for home viewing.

"I do think that if we went back to the way the windows were before it would be better for everyone," she said. "I think people are actually starting to explore that option."

Still, she suggested studios and theaters needed to better cater to consumer needs. "We need to give the consumer a reason to leave the house, put down the iPod," she said.
Movie are meant to be seen in a theater, but when they tank, they need to be released on DVD soon afterwards. Let the market decide when movies go to DVD, and not execs.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
The only time I go to theaters is for my kids, and that is pretty rare.

To me, theaters equate to
1.unsharp picture
2.bad sound
3.bad chairs
4.overpriced snacks
5.lines

The last movie I saw in theaters was Star Wars EPIII, and the biggest impression it left on me was that I couldnt believe how bad the sound was.....LOL

After the movie, I walked out thinking........."man I cant wait until this movie comes out on DVD so I can watch it with good sound."

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
Add ignorant people having conversations in normal talking voices "during" the movie.
Cell phones ringing then the ensuing conversation...also at normal street voice levels.
Giant, fat ****ing morons choosing to sit directly in front of you when there are plenty of other seats available.
Crying kids.
Theater managers not caring at all when you voice a complaint.

I no longer go to the "movies". I am very happy to wait for the movie to come out on dvd then watch it on my system...pausing when I need to go to the bathroom...rewind when I missed something said, etc...watching it again and again whenever I want to.
I am missing nothing by not going to the theater except the boorish behavior of the trolls.

Haywood Jablomi

Haywood Jablomi

Enthusiast
My wife and I go out to the movies a few times a year. These trips are as much an exuse to get away from the kids as anything else and tend to be limited to "event" movies, like King Kong. Going to the movies is very expensive, by the time we pay the babysitter, pay $17 for tickets and spend $10 for popcorn and a drink. The sound is inferior to what we have at home. The picture is big, but not as sharp as what we have at home. The floor is often sticky. The other patrons are often rude (conversations and phones). People use no common sense about what movies to bring small children to, they kids get scared or bored and cry. No wonder we only do it on rare occasions.

I would much rather just watch it at home on my increasingly great home theater system. Its cheaper to buy a DVD than to see the movie in the theater. Granted, the financial argument falls flat when one looks at the fact that I've got roughly $10k in my primary system alone, but that's not really the point.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Kai said:
Add ignorant people having conversations in normal talking voices "during" the movie.
Cell phones ringing then the ensuing conversation...also at normal street voice levels.
Giant, fat ****ing morons choosing to sit directly in front of you when there are plenty of other seats available.
Crying kids.
Theater managers not caring at all when you voice a complaint.

I no longer go to the "movies". I am very happy to wait for the movie to come out on dvd then watch it on my system...pausing when I need to go to the bathroom...rewind when I missed something said, etc...watching it again and again whenever I want to.
I am missing nothing by not going to the theater except the boorish behavior of the trolls.
Hahahahahahahahahahhahaaha........ Yep, and all that too!! I was just trying not to be too negative.:D :D :D

B

Buckeye_Nut

Haywood Jablomi said:
My wife and I go out to the movies a few times a year. These trips are as much an exuse to get away from the kids as anything else and tend to be limited to "event" movies, like King Kong. Going to the movies is very expensive, by the time we pay the babysitter, pay $17 for tickets and spend $10 for popcorn and a drink. The sound is inferior to what we have at home. The picture is big, but not as sharp as what we have at home. The floor is often sticky. The other patrons are often rude (conversations and phones). People use no common sense about what movies to bring small children to, they kids get scared or bored and cry. No wonder we only do it on rare occasions.

I would much rather just watch it at home on my increasingly great home theater system. Its cheaper to buy a DVD than to see the movie in the theater. Granted, the financial argument falls flat when one looks at the fact that I've got roughly $10k in my primary system alone, but that's not really the point.
I couldnt agree more!!! The last time my wife went 'OUT' to the movies was in the fall of 2004. We had a 'kids free weekend" and we went out of state to go to a football game. That weekend, we went to see "Friday Night Lights". Dont get me wrong because 'for different reasons' theaters are fun and all, but........

NOTHING beats watching movies in the comfort of your own 'private' home theater. Nothing beats having your own theater with no friggin idiot patrons to deal with. Not to mention a better picture & sound, cold beer in the fridge, and 'pause' for pee breaks....

LOL

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I go to Theaters for free, and they are THX cert so it doesn't bother me one bit.

Did I mention I live about 3 minutes away from it to?

SheepStar

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
I agree with everyones comments above, going to the theater is such a pain in the *ss when I have a much better place to watch a movie right at home. Now going to the places that have leather recliners and you can order food/drinks on a touch screen lcd right at your chair that are delivered straight to your seat, those theaters I can handle and don't mind paying more for it. Its just not enjoyable to sit in a crowded theater in uncomfortable seats and deal with all the distractions while trying to enjoy a movie

D

DDigitalguy06

Audioholic
Ha! Soon everyone in the world will have some sort of home theater built in their homes. but anway i also hate movie theaters also. for one thing it cost to much and second terrible screen pitcure and sound. i'll just wait untill the movie comes out on dvd. :D and save me money. plus u get way better quality at your own home theater.:D

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
Looking at some "studio side" economics:

King Kong had a budget of $207 million. The gross from U.S. theaters was a little over $218 million a couple weeks ago (worldwide gross was more than double that). So, they already had a profit before PPV and DVD.

I figure if everyone stops going to the movie theater, my next DVD will cost me $30 or $40 instead of $14.

I love my HT, and I only go to the movies every 5 or 6 months. But, for purely selfish reasons, I'll encourage EVERYONE ELSE to go as often as posible.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis