Moved: from Denon Line Show - Now HD DVD vs. SD

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
ned said:
Well then you're misinformed. The 1st gen Toshiba will prob the best one avial as it is based on PC. As far as software there are 2-4 releases /week and more announced for the fall. I must say you're out of touch. Read up.

Daft — British slang for stupid

It will be here soon just wait for Cedia. In 2 years I've been enjoying HD DVD for 2 years already and you're just starting.
Uh huh, well, you go ahead and pay a premium to buy your first gen player of dubious quality and I'll get the Sky HD satellite service and be happy with its 8 HD channels until things shake out.

And "Stupid" is too strong a word - silly or foolish is more accurate, at least in the part of the world I'm from.

Last edited:
N

ned

Full Audioholic
AdrianMills said:
Uh huh, well, you go ahead and pay a premium to buy your first gen player of dubious quality and I'll get the Sky HD satellite service and be happy with its 8 HD channels until things shake out.

And "Stupid" is too strong a word - silly or foolish is more accurate, at least in the part of the world I'm from.
You keep calling it dubios despite the fact I've been telling you that mine is glitch and bug free. Call me whatever you want and I have paid premium so do thousands of other enjoying 1080p clear of artifact and noise NOW. You go ahead and enjoy your Sky C...what now?

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
ned said:
You keep calling it dubios despite the fact I've been telling you that mine is glitch and bug free. Call me whatever you want and I have paid premium so do thousands of other enjoying 1080p clear of artifact and noise NOW. You go ahead and enjoy your Sky C...what now?
Actually, I called it "dubious". ;)

So, tell me, how many movies do you have that were mastered in 1080p? How about 1080i? 720p?

And yes, it's fine that you've spent your money on this, I've no complaints as it's your money not mine. But 2 years down the road (or possibly longer) I will pay a lot less for something that's a lot better and will be able to view a lot more without the concern that my choice of format will disappear from under me, a la Betamax.

As it is, I'm usually fairly happy with the quality of movies on my HD panny plasma from a crappy el-cheapo DVD player so I'm more than likely going to be ecstatic when my 3910/4306 combo is delivered.

My current patience stems from a history of computer fanaticism (now tempered by age and experience) and the constant upgrade cycle. Also, in my experience, the bleeding edge is somewhere I no longer want to be, at least not unless the benefits outweigh the costs (and I’m not just talking monetary here), which they don’t in this case as far as I'm concerned.

But I hope you have fun anyhow. :)

N

ned

Full Audioholic
AdrianMills said:
So, tell me, how many movies do you have that were mastered in 1080p? How about 1080i? 720p?
But I hope you have fun anyhow. :)
All of my selection so far are 1080p. No artifact, no broadcast compression noise. I understand your position to wait and I respect that and hope you do the same for others who are not willing to. There are a lot of misinformation form the media. I suggest you head up to AVSforum and get the facts.

The analogy from computer tech is somewhat weak. The price of HD DVD player is less than 20% of leading edge computer. 1080p is the holy grail of video it will take a long time before we even talk about 4k resolution.

The $500 player now (actually you can get one for $360) is already subsidized because Toshiba is taking a loss. It is built like a tank and prob the only gen to built this way.

In Europe you guys will be fortunate to have Sudio Canal to release Fox, Disney and MGM. Universal, WB, Paramount etc have already been releasing titles since the launch.

How much are you really saving in 2 years? Couple of hundred bucks and missing all the fun. (Not to mention features such as iHD, Menu overlays, HD trailer download from the net, DD+, True HD and DTS HD etc.)

If one of the format wins (although I believe they will co-exist), I have no regrets as I've a collection of great movies that I can watch again and again in 1080p!

AdrianMills said:
I understand you have your opinions, but to be fair most of the current software for BD and HD-DVD is mastered in 1080p. Regardless, a well-mastered 720p disc will look fantastic as well at its native resolution compared to 480i/p - and of course this ALL hinges on the display and viewing distance.

It's funny why people can't simply make their choices and have at it. It's not really necessary to convert others to our own ways of thinking. This is especially true when you factor in items like disposable income, desire to be cutting edge, etc...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis