Move over CM9: New $4k CM10 Tower Speakers From B&W

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The CM9 for $3k/pr was the flagship model for the CM line of speakers. No longer.

Usurped by the new CM10 for $4k/pr, these look like some pretty solid speakers.

For the extra cash you get a big bump to a new tweeter that's held in its own enclosure and an extra 6.5" bass driver for a 3db point that's 11Hz lower than the CM9

Read the full preview and let us know if you think it's worth the asking price or the upgrade for those who already own the CM9?

Think they will come out with a new center speaker to match the CM10?

Read the entire Bowers & Wilkins CM10 Floorstanding Preview

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Somehow I'm getting more and more wish to checkout some of the B&W products, I never had any great pleasure from their products previously.... Somehow I believe or hope that may be in for a change...

First of all, my criticism to older B&W products was about a bass that was just not good enough... Poor quality, bloated, no real attack, nothing good... The Danish brands: Audiovector, Dali, System Audio and Dynaudio was easily running in circles around any B&W speakers.

Well I really hope they learned some lessons now :p

I

Iansw

Audiophyte
Interesting Addition To The Range

Not to sure about the tweeter positioned as it is not being as coherent with the cabinet as you find in the 800 series. However, with my experience of Bowers and Wilkins it will no doubt sound awesome and seamless with the mid range driver. Bass has always been tight and controlled on their speakers, but inline with all modern speakers these days, bass does not have the power it did on speakers of old with their much larger diameter drive units of 10-12" as opposed to today's of around 6". A sub-woofer becoming the defacto norm even for stereo use. However, the upgrade the three bass drivers may just change that. Even if the bass cannot be felt quite like a kick in the chest of a rock concert, it will have extremely pleasant sonic impact on the ears.

J

Jim Hawkins

Enthusiast
Best of the CM line for sure

Through brief listening to this speaker in stores (not the best environment) I would fully agree with this assessment. Compared to the CM9 the CM10 seemed to have a more open sound. I kinda felt the mid bass was a little congested. Don't get me wrong, I think the CM9 is a great speaker. The CM10 has a different sound that I found to be more inviting, top to bottom.

M

ManosXJR

Audiophyte
Matching with AV receiver

Why not pairing the CM-10s with a good AV receiver? I just bought the B&W MT-60D package to match with a Pioneer SC-LX87 and I am thinking of adding a CM-10 pair as the mains for my vinyls. Any drawbacks for this combination? I do not see anything wrong matching them in the specs, and have been a user of both firms (among many others) in the past. Can you please advise?

Merry Xmas & Happy New Year to all.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Somehow I'm getting more and more wish to checkout some of the B&W products, I never had any great pleasure from their products previously.... Somehow I believe or hope that may be in for a change...

First of all, my criticism to older B&W products was about a bass that was just not good enough... Poor quality, bloated, no real attack, nothing good... The Danish brands: Audiovector, Dali, System Audio and Dynaudio was easily running in circles around any B&W speakers.

Well I really hope they learned some lessons now :p
Bass from subs are still 100% BETTER. ;)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Bass from subs are still 100% BETTER. ;)
probably 200% :p

No, seriously I have a preference for smaller speakers.....
When I audtitioned Dynaudio contour the smaller S 3.4 was in my ears, significantly better performing than the bigger S 5.4
In general it's just what works for me, but then you need subs

Maybe some of the smaller B&W like these ones could fit the bill :D

Last edited:
E

English210

Audioholic
The CM10's are a significant step up IMHO. The 9's left me cold, but the 10's seemed a lot more involving to me. In fact, the difference between a well set up pair of CM10's and a not-well-set-up pair of 804's could be enlightening from the standpoint of demonstrating the importance of proper setup. I've heard the 804's in bad setups, and the CM10's I heard were way better sounding.

C

Chrisx

Audiophyte
Using the CM10s with an LX85 purchased a couple of years ago. Having heard what the Pioneer did for my old CDM1SEs, i.e. better in EVERY way c/w midrange 70wpc Rotel had no hesitation giving it a chance with the CM10s even though tempted to get the Superuniti I auditioned them with.
While the LX85 theoretically not in the same league as the Naim its doing a fine job driving the CM10s and comes close set up as follows.
1. Bi-amping using 4 of the LX85 channels improved the sound significantly.
2. Being a cinema amp it has room correction which I used to leave off for music but with the CM10s in a 15' square room works a treat (in direct mode). Happy!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis