Motorized screen hook-up problem

J

jamie the Great

Audiophyte
First off I'd like to say hi to everyone as I'm a new member.
And now to my problem. I'm Just putting together my home theater, and at the same time finishing the basment, wich includes the room the theater is going in. I purchased a Panasonic LCD Projector model PT-AE700U. this projector has a 12volt output For a Motorized screen but, the screen I bought dose not have an input for this . It came with a switch that's in line with the power cable, the swich is a 3 position (up off down). The screen Is a Grandview tensioned screen. What I wanted is to get the screen to drop when the projector turns on, and go up when turned off. or have it work off a remote.
Thanks for listening and any help would be great

5stardog

Audiophyte
12 V Relay

You have a couple of options. You can probably purchase a system from the screen manufacturer. Daylite sell one for my screen it is a couple of hundred bucks. I thought that was crazy. You can accomplish the same thing with a relay. It will have to be wired according to the diagram on the relay. I am not an electrician so I had a friend wire for me. I think the relay and the base was $20 from McMaster Carr.

In general the 12 trigger from the projector activates the relay that closes a circuit and lowers the screen. You use your original switch and it continues to work as it was intended.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The 12v output from the AE700 is known to NOT have enough power to trigger screen relays. No idea why this is, but as much as you may wish for this feature, it may not be possible/practical with that projector.

Not sure if that issue was ever fixed by them.

I would recommend an IR control for dropping the screen and program it into a universal remote instead. It is easy enough to do, costs about the same, and if you aren't using a good universal remote (like a Harmony) then it is a great addition so everyone in the family can use the theater.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
jamie the Great said:
First off I'd like to say hi to everyone as I'm a new member.
And now to my problem. I'm Just putting together my home theater, and at the same time finishing the basment, wich includes the room the theater is going in. I purchased a Panasonic LCD Projector model PT-AE700U. this projector has a 12volt output For a Motorized screen but, the screen I bought dose not have an input for this . It came with a switch that's in line with the power cable, the swich is a 3 position (up off down). The screen Is a Grandview tensioned screen. What I wanted is to get the screen to drop when the projector turns on, and go up when turned off. or have it work off a remote.
Thanks for listening and any help would be great
Either of the recommendations above requires you to call the screen maker and see if there is a fix for that screen to be modified, either to work with a remote or a trigger voltage. And, if that is something you can do yourself or requires outside help which means $$$.:eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis