We're still waiting on news on the new Status Acoustics speakers which includes a rather robust new subwoofer... It should rival anything on this page but the measurements and listening tests will tell... Due to be announced sometime around CES 2005.

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
Thanks Clint, as I was telling Outsider, I need to buy 2 subs now for a customer, but I am looking forward to read your review on the Status Acoustics speakers and subs.

Attachments

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
Francious70,
actually there is no way internal amps will be able to power 2 big monsters like the SVS B4-Plus, you need a dedicated amp like the Crown K1 stereo amp which produces 1.500 watts RMS into 4 ohms in bridge mode.

You can buy the B4-plus sub with the crown K1 amp as a package deal, here is the write up on it:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_3/svs-b4-subwoofer-9-2003.html

Attachments

Last edited:
W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
Get a pair of VMPS larger subs. Very musical and all the bass you can handle. These do need separate amps btw but are a bargain. The

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
Mr.T said:
Francious70,
actually there is no way a regular HT receiver will be able to drive 2 big monsters like the SVS B4-Plus, so you need a dedicated amp like the Crown K1 stereo amp which produces 1.500 watts RMS into 4 ohms in bridge mode.
most HT recievers don't power the sub's anyways. All that I've seen require an active sub.

But you asked for the most powerful sub, and that's what I think the most power (dB's) would come from. Either a servo or this.

Paul

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Bag End's Bass Assult-R is probably up there. Four 21" drivers.

The subs you guys are listening don't even compare.

Also, folded horn subs will give you great output.

For a tad bit more practicle home use? Buy Velodyne.

-Chad

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
I have seen that Italian Sub project before, it sure is an unusual and wild one.

The VMPS's look good, the price is also good, but the customer will probably opt more for the B4-Plus.

Attachments

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
As a sidenote regarding the VMPS larger subs: NASA uses them. They bought them due to the fact at the time they were the most powerful subwoofer made. Very high SPL before distorting. You'd have to contact Brian Cheney, the owner, for more info. They also are very musical and articulate. They can be found used at nice discounts on Audiogon too. Ask over at audiocircle.com how four or six of them work!

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Why would NASA want a powerful sub for?

Those shuttle launches have some real earth shattering bass as it is. :confused:

R

Redbone

Audioholic
M&K 5000 should blow the ceiling off a decent sized room- but you could always add two. Saw a show called big boys toys and this guy from cali- some disgustingly wealthy guy had a $100,000 home theatre system he had four or five M&K 12" drivers in his bass wall?? Something to consider.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis