Most Overrated DVD?

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
rgriffin25 said:
I have to disagree with all of you on the Fifth Element. I thought the movie was terrible. I would rather watch Starship Troopers to be honest with you.
The acting, pacing, a dialogue in Starship Poopers was so awful I could do nothing but grimmace throughout the film. I'm not saying the Fifth Element deserved any oscars, but good lord it was better than ST by a long shot, Think of that great scene in the taxi where he drives through the traffic, and when they create the 5th element from the cells....pretty creative. Whatever...to each his own.

My big problem with Unbreakable is that he is what mid to late 40's and he is just learning that he has special powers? I overlooked that and still enjoyed it, but thought it had some flaws. The DVD looks and sounds great so there is that also.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

hopjohn said:
The acting, pacing, a dialogue in Starship Poopers was so awful I could do nothing but grimmace throughout the film. I'm not saying the Fifth Element deserved any oscars, but good lord it was better than ST by a long shot, Think of that great scene in the taxi where he drives through the traffic, and when they create the 5th element from the cells....pretty creative. Whatever...to each his own.

My big problem with Unbreakable is that he is what mid to late 40's and he is just learning that he has special powers? I overlooked that and still enjoyed it, but thought it had some flaws. The DVD looks and sounds great so there is that also.
I do not own either of these movies, and I feel that I have good reason not too. If I want a futurisitc taxi chase scene I have Attack of the clones. Like you said each to his own.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
hopjohn said:
. I'm not saying the Fifth Element deserved any oscars
I would have thought that Milla Jovovich's speaking fluent gibberese as if it were a real language would have qualified for something. She seemed to really be talking, compared to the stilted elfspeak from LOTR, which seemed more an excuse for subtitles than an actual language...

she made the movie, in my opinion.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Tolkien's "elf-speak" actually is a language. He was a linguist who created several languages- he really only became a writer as an outlet for his original languages. Just an FYI.

BTW, Milla is pretty much the high point of everything she's in! :D

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
I guess that makes her performance even more impressive.. Milla talked her senseless gibberish like it was her everyday tongue with rolling eyes, goofy grins, seductive smiles, and the don't mess with me look on "not without my permission". you could easily believe she spoke that language in real life.

if elfspeak actually is a language (and I'm willig to accept that), the LOTR guys knew what they were saying and should have been able to convey some feeling with the words.. they didn't get there, in my opinion. Viggo, Liv, and Hugo all appeared to be reading rather than talking, with no inflection or facial expressions to match the verbage (ok that's how Hugo always appears, but hopefully you get my point on the other two).

wasn't bashing JRR, just the poor execution by the actors...

L

LittleKing

Enthusiast
In my opinion any moive that try to be sold because of the extra features. Well almost any, the LOTR extended editions are worth it.

Most of the extra features are crap. The movie should be good enough to sell as is. When I first started buying DVD's I would always want to get the extra feature disk. That ended very quickly as I soon discovered the extra content sucked hard. Now I only by the basic version and some with extra features such as LOTR movies.

LK

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis