Most overpriced oddities? Show some

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Post your items . Either owned or not something you have .

A real 4k 4096 x tv cost you 40 grand ? Lol
?

Turns out it’s a professional monitor for studios

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
It's an extremely accurate monitor made for people mastering HDR videos, that's why it's so expensive. It's not a consumer product at all.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What 'noob knows about apparently isn't much by all his posting in any case.....let alone the title/content mismatch with his own post.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Any ideas why this exist and or who buys this stuff?
Well, much like your username, this is actually a really good question.

There is a ton of gear on the market which is designed and built for the movie industry. While we live in a world of $1,000 cel phones which sound expensive, but encompass so much, including our video and photo taking capabilities, when you get a digital SLR camera, from someone like Nikon, you may find that you drop several thousand dollars to buy a lens, or several, for that camera.

Then you step up to movie production cameras, and you find out that a cheap lens is $20,000 for their cameras.

WHY? WHY!!!????

Because the lenses offer certain features and functions which are otherwise unavailable on consumer grade cameras. The optics are significantly better overall with extremely high precision, but the actual design allows for many things which consumer lenses don't offer. These features can actually be looked up on Google and there are YouTube videos which discuss the differences between a cinema camera lens and a consumer camera lens. Yes, the cost is significant and the features offered are unique.

The same is true with actual professional level gear. This isn't consumer. It's not commercial. It's designed for professional use and professional video editing and review work. The type of editing work that is done for multi-million dollar films. Think, "The Avengers", and think about 20 or 30 film editors all working on their own consumer video monitors. The color of all the monitors isn't the same, the quality isn't the same, etc. Then, when you watch the movie, every other shot looks completely different and the final result looks like garbage.

Now, you stick a $40,000 4K monitor in front of every single one of those 20 editors, at a cost of nearly a million dollars in monitors, but you end up with a result which is absolutely top shelf. These monitors aren't just a single expense for a single movie, but are part of the studio's editing suite. These studios spend millions of dollars for properly calibrated and very accurate monitors, good cabling, top shelf previewing facilities, etc. and it dwarfs any typical home gear. They also pay the money to have this gear regularly calibrated so that everyone sees the same thing.

I get it, it sound crazy. Until you think about the amount of money which is on the line. A franchise like the Marvel series is worth billions of dollars to Disney. The importance of maintaining such a demanding high standard is only possible by ensuring that the absolute best, and most accurate equipment is used throughout the entire filming and editing process.

Oh, and as an aside, there are mice which cost thousands of dollars. Why? Because they are genetically identical to each other. This is something labs use for drug testing to ensure that all test samples are 100% identical. A variance from one mouse to another wouldn't yield accurate results. Once again, sounds crazy, but in the name of doing things right, this is the reality that science must deal with.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Well, much like your username, this is actually a really good question.

There is a ton of gear on the market which is designed and built for the movie industry. While we live in a world of $1,000 cel phones which sound expensive, but encompass so much, including our video and photo taking capabilities, when you get a digital SLR camera, from someone like Nikon, you may find that you drop several thousand dollars to buy a lens, or several, for that camera.

Then you step up to movie production cameras, and you find out that a cheap lens is $20,000 for their cameras.

WHY? WHY!!!????

Because the lenses offer certain features and functions which are otherwise unavailable on consumer grade cameras. The optics are significantly better overall with extremely high precision, but the actual design allows for many things which consumer lenses don't offer. These features can actually be looked up on Google and there are YouTube videos which discuss the differences between a cinema camera lens and a consumer camera lens. Yes, the cost is significant and the features offered are unique.

The same is true with actual professional level gear. This isn't consumer. It's not commercial. It's designed for professional use and professional video editing and review work. The type of editing work that is done for multi-million dollar films. Think, "The Avengers", and think about 20 or 30 film editors all working on their own consumer video monitors. The color of all the monitors isn't the same, the quality isn't the same, etc. Then, when you watch the movie, every other shot looks completely different and the final result looks like garbage.

Now, you stick a $40,000 4K monitor in front of every single one of those 20 editors, at a cost of nearly a million dollars in monitors, but you end up with a result which is absolutely top shelf. These monitors aren't just a single expense for a single movie, but are part of the studio's editing suite. These studios spend millions of dollars for properly calibrated and very accurate monitors, good cabling, top shelf previewing facilities, etc. and it dwarfs any typical home gear. They also pay the money to have this gear regularly calibrated so that everyone sees the same thing.

I get it, it sound crazy. Until you think about the amount of money which is on the line. A franchise like the Marvel series is worth billions of dollars to Disney. The importance of maintaining such a demanding high standard is only possible by ensuring that the absolute best, and most accurate equipment is used throughout the entire filming and editing process.

Oh, and as an aside, there are mice which cost thousands of dollars. Why? Because they are genetically identical to each other. This is something labs use for drug testing to ensure that all test samples are 100% identical. A variance from one mouse to another wouldn't yield accurate results. Once again, sounds crazy, but in the name of doing things right, this is the reality that science must deal with.
IMAc 5k is a innovation wish I could afford one why don’t tv makers make 5k??

I guess in a land of feudal lords us serfs cannot afford a 40k monitor .
Yeah movie filming cameras cost sooooooo much like insanity. $$&&& Cinemark xd Projector is like 120k or more

Home tv for 8k and 4k are both under cinema resolution by a massive factor .
So we don’t got enough pixels to display either in our homes .. it’s 3.8k and 7.6k zzzz

We get junk .,, In Comparison no home theater 4k tv is 4096 pixels always 3840

Makes perfect sense to spend a lot for a 300million dollar film .....

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
So we don’t got enough pixels to display either in our homes .. it’s 3.8k and 7.6k zzzz
It's really not that big of a jump between cinema projectors and home theater. Home's just use the 16:9 video standard, which theaters don't adhere to.

By that same concept, Sony and JVC home theater 4K projectors all use 4096 pixels and are available under $5,000.

IMAX laser digital cinemas use the exact same resolution that the JVC and Sony projectors have.

They don't use the same lamps or anything and using two high powered projectors with proprietary footage certainly gives IMAX a boost, you better believe that home theaters can achieve more than what your typical movie theater can deliver for the money.

READ... LEARN: https://gizmodo.com/imaxs-new-laser-projectors-make-me-wish-i-lived-in-a-mo-1689480610

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The thread title is misleading with the example given, tho considering who posted it, not surprising he's not familiar with the gear or its use.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
IMAc 5k is a innovation wish I could afford one why don’t tv makers make 5k??

Yeah movie filming cameras cost sooooooo much like insanity. $$&&& Cinemark xd Projector is like 120k or more

Makes perfect sense to spend a lot for a 300million dollar film .....
Most people are cheap. They want the best, but aren't willing to pay for it and yet, they're willing to go into debt to buy the stuff they think they want and churn the equipment in their system because they made bad decisions.

Imagine going to a theater and watching video that was shot on consumer-grade equipment- the colors would be off, the outer areas would vary in focus and the dynamic range would be far less than what is needed in a large venue.

Granted, many don't go to theaters because they don't want to be annoyed by people talking/yelling/laughing/crowding, feet sticking to the floor and generally feeling like they need a good shower afterward.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I wanna know why... you can show us a glimpse of cleverness such as your phrasing above, yet you have 15 threads all asking the same questions and don't know how to use Google..?

You my friend, are an enigma...

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
1589318515953.png

The Tice Clock. Plug it in anywhere and it would improve the sound of your system. And people purchased these devices. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis