More than one speaker to a channel?

M

Movielover95

Audiophyte
Hey,

I have a 5.2.2 setup going and my surrounds are micca mb42. I have 2 pairs of them and was wondering if wiring them in series could make them act sort of like bipolar speakers. The speakers claim 4-8ohms and I measured to be between 4.5 and 6 ohms. My receiver is a denon avr-x3200w. My fronts are jbl es90 and center is a jbl es25c. All 3 of which run off different amp than receiver. Only the 2 heights and these surrounds run off avr.

Thanks for any input.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I did something similar with my side speakers in my last theater because I was using very small (crappy) surrounds and had two seating rows. Worked well, but for anything other than my scenario (not even for that really) I'd just use them as they are intended. You'll likely get some odd distortion and comb filtering that won't be very nice to listen to.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey,

I have a 5.2.2 setup going and my surrounds are micca mb42. I have 2 pairs of them and was wondering if wiring them in series could make them act sort of like bipolar speakers. The speakers claim 4-8ohms and I measured to be between 4.5 and 6 ohms. My receiver is a denon avr-x3200w. My fronts are jbl es90 and center is a jbl es25c. All 3 of which run off different amp than receiver. Only the 2 heights and these surrounds run off avr.

Thanks for any input.
What would be the benefit of this arrangement? I agree to just use them as intended. Bipoles and dipoles are ok in space constrained rooms but otherwise useless. They were designed when soundtracks were only about ambiance, but now movie tracks are very directional and that's better represented by monopoles(direct radiators).

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I wouldn't just add more speakers to get a bipole effect, you're likely to introduce comb filtering problems. If you have multiple seating rows that are several feet apart, using two sets of surrounds, one for each row, makes sense.

Sent from my 5065N using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis