More Speaker questions

M

mtbiker

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hello,
&nbsp;As you may know, I'm new to the &quot;high quality&quot; audio/video areana. &nbsp;I'm currently looking at speakers and reciever to purchase. &nbsp;I don't quite know which way to go on speakers to get the best available sound for movies and music. &nbsp;Should I go with a smaller set of bookshelf or cube speakers for the front channels, or would I be better off to get a pair of floor standing &quot;big&quot; speakers for the front. &nbsp;My thinking is to go with the latter option so I can turn the other speakers, Center and rears, off while I listen to music, and turn them on while watching DVD's and HDTV? &nbsp;Or would the Floor speaker over power the audio while watching DVD's? &nbsp;

I'm confused at this point and don't know which way to go. &nbsp;ANy help you could lend would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mark</font>

E

Eric

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi Mark,

AH has a very good buyers guide for speakers. Check it out here:

Speaker Buying Guide

Stay away from the cube systems.</font>

M

mtbiker

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hey Eric,
&nbsp;Thanks for the info. &nbsp;Give's me some good ammo to take with me to the store.

One dumb question? &nbsp;What's a &quot;cubed&quot; system? &nbsp;I'm assuming thats a system with all little, or bookshelf speakers? &nbsp;Is that correct?

So, would you concur that the anwser to my original question of what should I get for the best sound is to get floor speakers for the fronts and build from there?

Thanks</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>From what I know, floor speakers are far better than bookshelf speakers as they give you more power and better sound. &nbsp;If you have the space and money, I would say go for the floor speakers(tower desgin).</font>

M

Mrdecibel

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hi Mark,

Speaker purchases are always a very subjectionable topic. As suggested above, AH has a great guide to assist you. Just remember the golden rules of choosing speakers.

1) Usually a third of your overall system budget should be put towards speakers.

2) Your speakers should at least fullfill an adequate &quot;Throw&quot; for the size of room there going in.

3) Choose a reputable company that stands behind their products.

4) Last but not least.....&quot;Do they sound good to you&quot;?

All basics set aside....if you asked for my opinion (which I think you did), I think tower speakers accomplish a few aspects that only a few bookshelf models can. Don't get me wrong. I have auditioned some fantastic &quot;bookshelf&quot; speakers.

I just believe that if you audition them side-to-side, that you will agree the overall &quot;Height&quot; of the sound from a tower setup (assuming that the tower is at least a 3 way design) gives them a sonic advantage over bookshelf speakers.

If you have the room and the funds... go with towers.
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>Both types have their virtues and vices.  Bookshelf/mini monitor speakers usually image very well due to the smaller front baffle as opposed to towers.  A smaller baffle will generally cause less diffraction.  Another advantage of a small speaker is good driver integration, even in very small rooms or for nearfield listening.  That's a plus if you must sit or prefer to sit close to your speakers.

On the other hand, floorstanders generally produce better bass and will play louder due to the greater enclosure volume.  You may find that they are more dynamic, ie more able to cleanly reproduce the louder passages of a soundtrack or song.  Also, if you go with bookshelf speakers, you'll have to budget in the cost of some decent stands, where naturally most towers won't need stands.

That said, both are viable choices.  Maybe it would be helpful if you would describe what you plan to listen too a bit more.  If you like to watch a lot of DVD movies at commercial theater levels, you better go with towers, or else budget some cash for a good sub (actually, you should do this anyway, if you can). &nbsp;If your tastes run to small scale acoustic music or pop, you may be able to get by with something a bit more compact. &nbsp;

I agree with Mr. dB that overall towers may be the most practical way to go, but the best advice written here is to let your ears be the judge.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis