More reviews of streaming solutions

bombadil

bombadil

Junior Audioholic
With the major transition to streaming, we find a variety of options and equipment, from $30 dongles to uberthousand dollar streamers. I'm under the impression that if you are inputting a digital signal (from a relatively inexpensive source such as the Sonos Port or others) it does not matter what the fidelity of that device is. The SQ in this case will be determined by the DAC (separate or in your preamp), your amp, and of course your speakers/room. Yet there are very expensive streamers such as the Auralic Aries G1 (almost 3k) that do nothing but transfer the digital signal to your DAC. Are these high end products worth it? Has the established method of laptop to DAC to amp fallen out of favor? Is wireless as good as a hard line into your streaming input? I'd like to see more reviews on these products and expert advice from Gene.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm more of the opinion that a digital stream will be determined more in the unit with the dac, much like optical disc transports. Features and convenience and aesthetics may dictate what people pay for, tho. I've never used the "established" method much, prefer wireless, which I do not find to be lacking outside of perhaps router issues. I just changed ISP/modem/router setup and yet to run into a glitch as I did with my previous setup on occasion (but not a sound quality issue per se, rather a consistent connection).

bombadil

bombadil

Junior Audioholic
I'm more of the opinion that a digital stream will be determined more in the unit with the dac, much like optical disc transports. Features and convenience and aesthetics may dictate what people pay for, tho. I've never used the "established" method much, prefer wireless, which I do not find to be lacking outside of perhaps router issues. I just changed ISP/modem/router setup and yet to run into a glitch as I did with my previous setup on occasion (but not a sound quality issue per se, rather a consistent connection).
I prefer wireless as well. I have enjoyed the Anthem STR preamp; it offers DSP and room correction, but if you want a "straight wire" analog only to pass through it has that option as well. Also measures independent subwoofers :eek:)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I prefer wireless as well. I have enjoyed the Anthem STR preamp; it offers DSP and room correction, but if you want a "straight wire" analog only to pass through it has that option as well. Also measures independent subwoofers :eek:)
Yeah I have all those features in my avr (at least the main one, as far as the setting level/delay for two subs goes).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Then again, the prowess of DACs/DAC sections I think is often overblown.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis