Mordaunt Short 900 series Setup w Denon/Marantz AV

Z

Zax

Enthusiast
Hi Audioholics,

I want to buy an overall new hifi & home theater set, intended for playing both classical and popular music, and for watching movies/DVDs.

I consider the following setup:

* Mordaunt Short speakers: 2x908 front, 2x906 rear, 1x905c center, 909w subw.

* Receiver and DVD player:
either Marantz 8500 / Marantz 6400 combination
or Denon 3805 / Denon 2910 combination

* Philips 32PW9509/12 TV.

Any comments / advice / experience is welcome!

In particular... what do you think of the speaker combination, with the 2x906 as rear? Is it good or bad to take the big standing speakers like 908 or 906 also as rear speakers? And which AV/receiver better fits the speaker combination, Marantz or Denon? I've often seen similar Marantz/Denon discussions before, I'm awaiting the upcoming Marantz reviews on Audioholics.. how about the players? Any comments on connecting the Philips TV to Receiver, what things to take into account?

Thanks in advance for all your comments!!!

- Mark.

K

kaseaman

Junior Audioholic
Mark,
Hey, I have owned the Marantz 6400 for about a year now and I love it. It has absolutely no problems with scratched disks and the audio performance of it is amazing. I also have heard the marantz reciever with the Mordaunt Short speakers and I have to say that it is a great combination. The marantz reciever is extremely neutral, while the Denon is more partial towords the upper end of the noise spectrum. I would see witch combo you like more before a purchase, but if it was me I wuld go with the Marantz. By the way, good choice of speakers!!!

Z

Zax

Enthusiast
Marantz combo / taking front as rear speakers

HI kaseaman,

thx for the feedback, glad to hear you are satified with your Marantz combo. Denon seems to be more popular in the US while Marantz is more common here in Europe.

Why do you think Denon is more partial towords the upper end of the noise spectrum?

About the speakers I'm also wondering what you audioholics will think of the choice of the standing 906 or 908 speakers as rear speakers instead of the usual ones.

Cheers,

Mark.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis