Monster THX Speaker Wire

P

Philip

Enthusiast
I just bought some Monster THX speaker wire for about $50CDN/100 ft at Future Shop. Can anyone tell me why there is two different color wires twisted together for each conductor? One looks like copper but I am not sure what the other one is (see the Monster website above)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Its just standard 16AWG Zip cord from what I can see. I would personally opt for 10-12AWG Zip cord instead since it will have lower resistance and inductance.

P

Philip

Enthusiast
I thought it might be only for looks, I was wondering what the gimmick might be.

Gene

I went for #16 AWG since my speakers and reciever only have the push/spring style of connector and #16 is all that fits. Once I upgrade all my speakers and reciever to something good i am going to run #12.

Thanks for the replys.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Thats fine and the cable you have now should be ok for reasonably short runs. Its not a bad cable and the price isn't outlandish. Hey there are some exotic cables that I have measured that would fair poorly against those and at a much higher price. At least THX checked them out to ensure they weren't fancy tone controls ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis