Monster strikes again

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The other night I was watching a show about building custom home theaters on Fine Living. It's one of those odd channels on my digital cable that i rarely watch, but the show title caught my attention.

The main designer was a guy named Theo K (greek sounding name, don't recall it exactly) and he was building a theater for a couple with a price target of around $15K.

As part of their HT education, the couple toured the Monster Mansion and spoke to Noel Lee. His mansion was very impressive...but then they went to Best Buy for help on picking out components. Not surprisingly, the salesman showed them nothing but Monster products.

- He showed them the Monster demo that purports to show what dirty power sounds like and how the HTS-5200 completely cleaned it up. He also told them that 'it's a little known fact that without the Monster power conditioner, you won't get the best sound from your components'.

- He showed them the difference between the thin cables that come in the box vs the thicker Monster cables (plain old analog audio cables) and used the analogy that the thin wire is like a one lane dirt road and the thicker cable is like a super speedway.

Other than the dubious info from the Best Buy salesman, the show was rather well done and the theater did turn out very nice. I just wonder if Monster contributed bucks to the making of the show because everything they bought was Monster.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
I'm sure Monster was the major sponsor for the show. Typically, most large sponsors for those types of shows (e.g., Trading Spaces) will state at some point during the show that the show is sponsored by 'XYZ'.

Case in point, Home Depot is one of the larger sponsors for Trading Spaces and you'll almost always see that plug/statement during the show b/f they cut to commercial.

Monster's sales tactics are pretty pathetic, which I believe is one of the larger reasons most educated HT enthusiasts/professionals despise the use and recommendation of their products... -TD

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Only companies with huge proffit margins like Monster Cable can afford to advertise on these types of programs.

The people in the show probably got the stuff for free, but they could have afforded better speakers and electronics if they hadn't wasted money on all the monster cabels. I wonder what percentage of their budget they wasted on cables.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Well... if they got them for free, they didn't waste any of their budget...:p

I can't see Monster "giving" all of their stuff away, even in a promotional effort...

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
While it is definitely true the Monster products tend to be overpriced, this industry is riddled with companies that are much more expensive for very questionable quality and sales tactics. Wiring companies most of all.

It is also true, that, in general, Monster products tend to be of very good quality. So, while they may be overpriced, you aren't getting junk, you are just paying more than you need to for that level of quality.

I can think of one company right off the top of my head that also charges way to much and instead of giving you a quality product, they give you junk... It is also a VERY popular product.

Let the buyer beware is a golden rule. It is simply untrue that a buyer is a victim when that buyer isn't willing to spend 10 minutes doing research. Really, a company is in business to make money. On the whole, Monster products are not terribly expensive at cost. But, markup is often 100% or more on their gear. This is the bread and butter for how companies survivie. The fancy shops may make half their product profits on accessories. Overpriced? Not if the consumer pays it.

I don't like certain things that Monster has done, but I don't hold them at fault for aggresively persuing market share and penetration. That is their goal as a company - get more business, increase the bottom line.

I personally love their CI-PRO bulk speaker wire, hands down the best stuff I have ever used or seen. Have NEVER seen anything that is as easy to work with. The day I do, I will switch to it. But, for me, in that product category, nothing is superior, so I will pay a bit more to get it (I buy online).

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
BMXTRIX said:
I can think of one company right off the top of my head that also charges way to much and instead of giving you a quality product, they give you junk... It is also a VERY popular product.
don't leave me hanging here... tell me who/what ...
please don't let it be Sony...

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
edwelly said:
don't leave me hanging here... tell me who/what ...
please don't let it be Sony...
I'm going to say Bose.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Just do a search on +overpriced +marketing and see what name pops up even more than Monster.

It most definitely isn't Sony. Sony may have some stuff that is a bit pricey, but I wouldn't consider them outrageous by a long shot.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....it's been awhile since I've owned a Sony television, but I remember the color saturation, contrast, and warmth of colors being a step above....also, that Sony TV's run very warm and consequently don't quite have the longevity of other brands....comments?.....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
mulester7 said:
.....it's been awhile since I've owned a Sony television, but I remember the color saturation, contrast, and warmth of colors being a step above....also, that Sony TV's run very warm and consequently don't quite have the longevity of other brands....comments?.....

How many years minimum do you consider having longevity?

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
mtrycrafts said:
How many years minimum do you consider having longevity?
.....Mtry, I've got a studio grade with more lines 36 inch tube Mitsubishi, that's goin' on 14.....how old's your Sony?.....TV's that Sony makes carry the ball for Sony, that's obvious....I have always had the attitude with TV's, Sony and be done with it....then, one night about 14 years ago, a salesman, rather, great salesman, said to me, "go feel the back of those two TV's, the Sony and the Mitsubishi".....I let that decision outweigh the Sony color saturations, mainly, and haven't regretted it at all....like somebody cares....you're just jealous over my car company amp coming....I know, I know, you hope I hate it......

....WmAx, look for a PM......

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Mitsubishi made awesome TVs in the past. Since they've merged with NEC, I've seen their quality drop. I don't even remember how many of our NEC FE991SBBK CRT monitors I've had fail at work. Way too many. And yet, my dad has an old Mitsubishi TV that is 20+ years old and has some of the best color and picture I've seen on a SD TV.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
MDS, stop leaving us hanging and tell us that the HT consisted of.

I like the Picture on my sony tv......screw you guys....

BTW, how does the heat made the TV classify it? Just because its hotter doesn't mean its worse....

SheepStar

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....returning to the thread....let's just say, if you overkill with monster, you belong with those others in the drooling academy.....

A

Alt+F4

Enthusiast
Monster didn't have to pay Best Buy for all the pushing, Best Buy does it itself. Used to work for them, and we're talking like a 60-80% profit margin for Best Buy. It's advantageous for them to push it because of that. Think of Monster's higest end power management system (retail) that they have for like $700. Best Buy employees can get it for like $120. Even then I still wouldn't get any of their surge protectors/power cleaners, as I can get a UPS for cheaper and does a better job with way more features. That, and it keeps my system on for 40 minutes if the power goes out. :)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Alt+F4 said:
Monster didn't have to pay Best Buy for all the pushing, Best Buy does it itself. Used to work for them, and we're talking like a 60-80% profit margin for Best Buy. It's advantageous for them to push it because of that. Think of Monster's higest end power management system (retail) that they have for like $700. Best Buy employees can get it for like $120. Even then I still wouldn't get any of their surge protectors/power cleaners, as I can get a UPS for cheaper and does a better job with way more features. That, and it keeps my system on for 40 minutes if the power goes out. :)
60-80% Profit!

That's 120 -> 160% mark up!

Knock about half the price off of Monster Cables, then people would say that they aren't over priced I believe. It is not that stores are PAYING to much for Monster Cable, it's that they charge to much for Monster Cable and encourage that level of pricing and markup.

Meh, I just don't like blame being cast to much on a company that at least makes a decent product. Especially when esoteric cables DO exist at ten times the price with what is really a zero improvement in sound quality.

I

indcrimdefense

Audioholic
as for sony tv longevity, i have a 15 year old sony trinitron which still works great, and i have never noticed that it gets hot. it is however the hardest damn thing to move as its absurdly heavy.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

mulester7 said:
.....Mtry, I've got a studio grade with more lines 36 inch tube Mitsubishi, that's goin' on 14.....how old's your Sony?.....TV's that Sony makes carry the ball for Sony, that's obvious....I have always had the attitude with TV's, Sony and be done with it....then, one night about 14 years ago, a salesman, rather, great salesman, said to me, "go feel the back of those two TV's, the Sony and the Mitsubishi".....I let that decision outweigh the Sony color saturations, mainly, and haven't regretted it at all....like somebody cares....you're just jealous over my car company amp coming....I know, I know, you hope I hate it......

....WmAx, look for a PM......

I am late responding. The boxes on the side of posts not working well for me telling me which ones I have contributed to:mad: So I miss some.

My Sony Tv XBR;) was about 18/9 yrs before it was time to swap. Speakers went first. The low driver had serious issues, similar to a post or two recently about TV speakers:eek:

Then, had other issues and swapped temporarily with a cheap one. As soon as I build the built-in in the family room for the TV, I will get a 16.9 Tv, into the 21st century:D Been thinking about if for a while so who knows when it will be reality:rolleyes:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Alt+F4 said:
Used to work for them, and we're talking like a 60-80% profit margin for Best Buy. It's advantageous for them to push it because of that. Think of Monster's higest end power management system (retail) that they have for like $700. Best Buy employees can get it for like $120.

How do you figure a profit of 60-80% when it is sold to the staff for $120 and retails for $700? To me it is more like a 700% profit:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis