Monster deal on EAR amp!

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Ooops! Did I say "monster?" :p Do I owe M-Cable $.50 now? ;) Anyway, I see Peter has dropped the price on his ICEPower Digital Amps to only $499! That's a mere fraction of what he used to charge for 'em. It's hard to know what to think- in the past the guy's been *erratic* to put it mildly, and you never know what hell will happen if you need service, but to a person everyone I've ever talked to about his amps has loved the sound. At this price damn near anyone could afford to try one out, too!

WorkerBee

WorkerBee

Junior Audioholic
Those are some pretty good looking amps..with a most affordable price. Have you ever heard one before. If I didn't just spend a bunch of $ myself I might just be checking one out. :rolleyes:

Z

zepaholic

Audioholic
Digital Amp

Rob Babcock said:
Ooops! Did I say "monster?" :p Do I owe M-Cable $.50 now? ;) Anyway, I see Peter has dropped the price on his ICEPower Digital Amps to only $499! That's a mere fraction of what he used to charge for 'em. It's hard to know what to think- in the past the guy's been *erratic* to put it mildly, and you never know what hell will happen if you need service, but to a person everyone I've ever talked to about his amps has loved the sound. At this price damn near anyone could afford to try one out, too!
:cool: Hey can you tell me more about these amps, or do you know of any reviews. I will be getting some Paradigm Studio 40's soon and I'm looking for a amp to go with my Yamaha 2500.

J

jzac

Audioholic
zepaholic said:
:cool: Hey can you tell me more about these amps, or do you know of any reviews. I will be getting some Paradigm Studio 40's soon and I'm looking for a amp to go with my Yamaha 2500.
Look into this one... for the quality and price its a steal of a deal...
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/200.html

There are quite a few users in this forum that use the M-200 mono-blocks and are happy.

WorkerBee

WorkerBee

Junior Audioholic
Zep,
My 2 month old 40's are powered by my 100 watt Denon and someday an integrated or an external amp will be used. They certainly sound like they could use it :D .

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I haven't Googled for reviews of the EAR amps lately. I imagine Ecousitics might have some. AC and Harmonic Discord have a lot of user reviews of them. As soon as I get a chance I'll see if there are any editorial reviews available.

WorkerBee

WorkerBee

Junior Audioholic
Rob,
i was over visiting that ICE website and the how to purchase and contact buttons don't do anything. Seems if they wantd to sell any of those amps those buttons would be working :confused: Looks like some competition for Outlaw and a couple others. :D

WorkerBee

WorkerBee

Junior Audioholic
There is a guy..Wally Underwood.. that does modifications on Outlaw amps and and makes them balanced or un-balanced operation. From what I've read he really soups them up. Zep, two hundred watts should make those Studio 40's sing and they don't sound too bad right now, you have much to look forward to. I am very happy ;) .

Z

zepaholic

Audioholic
40's

Yea,can't wait to pick them up should be about a month(long month). How do you get in touch with Wally Underwood. :cool:

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Just as an FYI, the Outlaw is a pretty conventional amp while the EAR uses B&O's ICEPower module. I'll set aside the claims being made for the sound, but the ICE module has some advantages over conventional SS, like very low power consumption and very little heat output. The damping factor of these "digital amps" is EPIC, often in excess of 1,000! :eek: But specs are just numbers, the proof is in the pudding. I've not yet heard an ICE amp, but I have heard TI, S-Master & TriPath amps, and I've been favorably impresses.

The EAR amp is pretty neat looking, too. :cool:

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
Boy, I'd really be interested to hear some review....they are breathtaking (looking at least)

Chris

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

The online e-zine Stereo Times did list one of Acoustic Reality's older EAR ICEPower amps as a "Most Wanted Component for 2003". Of course, that doesn't guarentee the new ones will 'deliver', but it's encouraging.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis