N

NuMRX

Audiophyte
I would like to use monster cable for my Audio room. Which monster cable should I use? I have thought over the Z2 reference #Z2R-250 at five feet for the two front big speakers each speaker. The back and center channel will have monster XPHP-CI #XPHP-CI S500. For the subwoofer I will use
the Monster cable M series Bass 1000 #MSB1000SW-12. The Back speakers will be mounted on the sides of the walls close to the back of the room (or whatever is best) through my attic, that is 9 feet to ceiling + 13 to pass over to the back or less for the sides + 9 to go down the wall. In short the total of cable for the back speakers is 31' each. 5 feet for the Front each and 5 feet for the center channel speaker.

What do you think?

BTW: is monster cable a reputable company and are their cables any good?
I believe it is as of writing this. Still I am a bit confused.

Klipsch Reference= RF-35 x2
Klipsch Reference center channel= RC-25 x1
Klipsch Reference Rear speakers= RS-25 x2
Klipsch Reference Subwoofer = RSW-15 x1

Room dimensions= 13' length X 13' Width X 9' Foot ceiling

All measerments in Feet '

sorry if I made this complecated, It makes sense to me, and apoligies to anyone if I took up too much space.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
NuMRX said:
I would like to use monster cable for my Audio room. Which monster cable should I use? I have thought over the Z2 reference #Z2R-250 at five feet for the two front big speakers each speaker. The back and center channel will have monster XPHP-CI #XPHP-CI S500. For the subwoofer I will use
the Monster cable M series Bass 1000 #MSB1000SW-12. The Back speakers will be mounted on the sides of the walls close to the back of the room (or whatever is best) through my attic, that is 9 feet to ceiling + 13 to pass over to the back or less for the sides + 9 to go down the wall. In short the total of cable for the back speakers is 31' each. 5 feet for the Front each and 5 feet for the center channel speaker.

What do you think?

BTW: is monster cable a reputable company and are their cables any good?
I believe it is as of writing this. Still I am a bit confused.

Klipsch Reference= RF-35 x2
Klipsch Reference center channel= RC-25 x1
Klipsch Reference Rear speakers= RS-25 x2
Klipsch Reference Subwoofer = RSW-15 x1

Room dimensions= 13' length X 13' Width X 9' Foot ceiling

All measerments in Feet '

sorry if I made this complecated, It makes sense to me, and apoligies to anyone if I took up too much space.

Why would you like to use Monster cables?

Their cables are good, but then so are cables from most sources and even the much less expensive ones as well. The company has been around a long time and are reputable in that they are not fly-by-night. Their cables are on the expensive side though.

You may want to consider speaker cables at $.30/ft or so.
Interconnects can be had for reasonable price too.

N

NuMRX

Audiophyte
where may I find these 30cent cables? and interconnects?

what are interconnects? will I see any difference in the cheapos and the Monster Cables at 39 feet max? what guage should I use?

With these cheap cables will I experience drop offs?

thanks

Last edited:
FLZapped

FLZapped

Audioholic
NuMRX said:

what are interconnects? will I see any difference in the cheapos and the Monster Cables at 39 feet max? what guage should I use?

thanks

Your local home building supply store(like Home Depot) will have it either as speaker wire, or as low-voltage landscape wiring for your speaker cabling.

The guage would depend on the length. Ten feet long, 14 guage would be fine, 25 feet, I would use 12 guage.

For interconnects, places like Target will have a variety of brands. Oddly enough, my Home Depot here carries RCA brand. All work just as well as Monster without the hefty price tag.

If you want to shop online, Part Express would be a place to look, some examples:

Dayton 3 ft

Dayton 6 ft

-Bruce

N

NuMRX

Audiophyte
so, in other words it is not going to make a bit of difference to use monster cable for Klipsch speakers and 650 watt subs? I want to boom this system and have tried it at ultimate electronics. Again I will have 39 feet at max most likely meaning I will need 10 AWG wire, right?

FLZapped

FLZapped

Audioholic
NuMRX said:
so, in other words it is not going to make a bit of difference to use monster cable for Klipsch speakers and 650 watt subs? I want to boom this system and have tried it at ultimate electronics. Again I will have 39 feet at max most likely meaning I will need 10 AWG wire, right?

No, the 12 AWG should do you fine. There is an emerging problem at the very top end of the audio spectrum, which is skin effect, so 12 guage is about the reasonable stopping point.

650 watt subs, huh.....hope you have good neighbors :eek:

-Bruce

BluesDaddy

BluesDaddy

Audioholic Intern
Listen to FLZapped and mtrycrafts. There is no benefit to using Monster Cable (or any other high priced cable) over against any other no name cable of reasonably good build quality. The whole cable industry is like jewelry for electronics - it looks nice, might make you feel better, but really isn't necessary. It has turned into a way for a high profit to be made in an industry with otherwise slim profit margins.

N

NuMRX

Audiophyte
yeah, I agree, thanks everyone

my only problem now is that lowes and homedepot don't carry 12 guage cable, BTW: what does the 12/2 <-- mean, guage and what?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
NuMRX said:

thanks

What speaker is at 39ft? The sub? If so, you need an interconnect cable or a video cable.

N

NuMRX

Audiophyte
only the two back surround speakers will have 39', they are the only ones that are in wall, the subwoofer will have an internconnect. I still can't find 12 AWG speaker cable in stores. BTW this cable needs to be CL3 rated because it will be in the wall. Will cl2 work also? last, do I need shielded speaker cable for the speakers?

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
12 gauge is quite heavy duty, and not really necessary unless you're doing really long runs (like, say, over 50 feet). And not always easy to find as you have seen. 16 gauge (commonly available) will be fine (it's what I'm using). Don't worry about "skin effect".

If you really want 12 ga. wire and it's not available locally get it mailorder from partsexpress.com.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
12/2

12/2 means 12 gage, two strand (ie plus / minus for one channel). 12/4 would be plus / minus for two channels.

If you want decent prices and great service on the cables, go with Axiom Audio or Impact Acoustics for either pre-assembled or raw cable.

You can get either company's well-manufactured 12/2 cable for quite a bit under a dollar a foot.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis