Monster Cable quality Cable without the "monster price tage" ???

X

XeoNoX

Enthusiast
all this bad stuff about Monster but i still haven't read what bad business practices they did or have with consumers? Someone explain real quick. Do they hold up to their lifetime warranties?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
all this bad stuff about Monster but i still haven't read what bad business practices they did or have with consumers? Someone explain real quick. Do they hold up to their lifetime warranties?
They have notoriously defended their trademarks in very frivilous poorly conceived ways. Going after anyone that uses the word monster. They also sent a colorfully stuipd accusation of patent violations to the BJC president. He responded with a very good letter. They went after Monster Mini Golf for using the word Monster. Until we all raised hell and I told them I would send my monster cables back to the store and tell all my friends to go elsewhere.

Many of emailed every email address on there site concerned. We got their attention and they backed off. But Mr. Lee still seemed clueless to his wrongdoing. Which is fine. He stopped so I don't care anymore.

That being said. I bought Monster XP cable and wasn't impressed with the cable itself. The cable has plastic in the middle of the cable. Which made terminating a pain. There jackets are difficult to tuck too. I since sent the cable to the person who bought my old receiver. Stripping it was even more of a pain.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not totally listening just for pleasure. The attempt is to build a reference system to be as neutral as possible within a limited budget/space, for audio production.

One _DEQ2496_ can help get a handle on the situation, but I think I'd need 4 of them to eq 8 speakers, assuming I can loop them into the Marantz SR8002.

I admit I need a lot more listening experience before jumping to crazy conclusions.
Why would you need more than the mains?

You would need 3 DCX's to run 7 speakers. not 4. DEQ is different. I suggest the DCX for crossing your mains with your subs.

you only need one in reality. You could run 3 channels per DCX. But you would run the fronts all as large and let the DCX handle the crossovers and eq for the entire front and sub soundstage. The Surrounds don't need to be DCX imo, but you could use one for the rears as well. Though I don't know why you would.

F

fractile

Junior Audioholic
Acoustanomolous

When a speaker is put into a room with walls, floor and a ceiling, reflected sounds from these boundaries can cancel or reinforce one another further altering the frequency response. ...

At higher frequencies, hundreds of small peaks and dips can be measured in the frequency response. ... Resist the urge to equalize these frequencies.

At low frequencies (below about 300 Hz), the picture is different. ...

With equalizers, less is more. Limit your use of the equalizer to lowering the largest bass peaks that typically occur below approximately 300 Hz, and you will likely have good results.
When the DEQ gets here in the next day or so, I can connect a mic into it set to RTA (61 bands) and check out the room. In this 11Wx11Lx9H room, the top 2ft of the front wall and most of the back wall are covered with books. There's lot of junk on other shelves and 3 bay windows all across one side, and other anomalous stuff, like open doorways... I think all that tends to work _for_ me.

The main idea I have so far is to put a curved wave of acoustic material the length of the hard plaster ceiling to cut down on that big mirror, and some padded rugs on the wooden floor to help keep it quiet for the downstairs neighbors. I intend to also do some small-scale live recording in here also, so I don't want a completely dead room. Another thing is I've been collecting eggcrate and foam type stuff in and around the windows. This is all to give some idea of the scenario.

Thanks for the info; it helps give an idea of how to approach it all realistically.

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
Perfect soloution for our speaker cable needs

It just came to me in a dream or was it the vodka, anyway TA DA............
:D :D :D :D :D: :D :D :D

wolven99

wolven99

Enthusiast
Blue Jeans Cable

Well after listening to your cable talk. I just bought some Belden 12AWG speaker wire and bunch of locking bananas.

I compared with monoprice and after the shipping costs it was about the same price for the wire. So, why not support a north american company.

Cheers & Thanks

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
It just came to me in a dream or was it the vodka, anyway TA DA............
:D :D :D :D :D: :D :D
Hope you have the right binding posts at the amp and speaker for those:eek::D

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Monoprice have the same connectors than Monster --> not that good (at least they're cheap). I'd go with bluejeans even if they're a couple of bucks more expensive.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
The product is not the problem here.... the PRICE is!

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Monoprice have the same connectors than Monster --> not that good (at least they're cheap). I'd go with bluejeans even if they're a couple of bucks more expensive.
I just bought some BJC. It's not a couple bucks more expensive. It's more like 200-300% more expensive, I think, FWIW. I'm satisfied with the product, and with all the BJC talk I had to try, but I'm not really sure why I did except to say I did. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis