Monoprice Unity Amps

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hadn't noticed those before. Look interesting, priced nicely but for the very small difference in price would get the more powerful unit.

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
@lovinthehd for sure. I have seen many cheap class D amps but given monoprice's push towards hifi I wondered if these amps we're diamonds in the rough.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
First, most audiophiles would not be using any amps with cheap speaker connectors. Huge turn-off. :D

2nd, there's not much specs like SNR, Crosstalk, Frequency Response? The power output doesn't say much either. Is it 100W into 8 ohms @ 1kHz or 20Hz-20kHz? Is that dynamic power or average continuous power output?

For all we know, the FR could be 100Hz-5kHz +/-2dB, Xtalk could be 40dB, SNR could be 60dBA at full power.

So most of us would take one look for 1 second and continue looking elsewhere. :D

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Just with the rated power output at 4 ohms compared to that of an 8 ohm load, it's less than the published 25% increase if you want to get a comparable THD level to that with the 8 ohm. This indicates a limited power supply. Decent amps supply at least 50% or more power for a 4 ohm load.

There are many better products available for just a slightly bigger outlay.

Last edited:
M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
The subject amplifiers are Class D with a PWM power supply, built in China to a price... Very different from their USA-built amplifiers sourced from ATI.. They are targeted for multi-room distribution systems not the main listening system.....

Just my $0.02... ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
First, most audiophiles would not be using any amps with cheap speaker connectors. Huge turn-off. :D

2nd, there's not much specs like SNR, Crosstalk, Frequency Response? The power output doesn't say much either. Is it 100W into 8 ohms @ 1kHz or 20Hz-20kHz? Is that dynamic power or average continuous power output?

For all we know, the FR could be 100Hz-5kHz +/-2dB, Xtalk could be 40dB, SNR could be 60dBA at full power.

So most of us would take one look for 1 second and continue looking elsewhere. :D
Good grief audiophiles use all kinds of electrical connectors. Being an audiophile has so little to do with a connector or cable. That said I would prefer a better terminal but over the years have used spring clips when necessary and they work. The specs not being fleshed out and lack of a manual to review is disappointing but perhaps contacting Monoprice would be in order if that amp is interesting. I like how they indicate examples for patio speakers or in-wall subs, tho :). Bet there are plenty of "audiophiles" using worse tube amps, tho.

Brian Steele

Brian Steele

Enthusiast
I used the Unity 100 and Unity 200 amps in an install in a small bar, where they've seen use for approx. 12 hours a day for the last three months. They work fine and the owner of the bar is very happy with the results. I'm seriously considering buying two of the 450w units for another project. It's a pity that model is not as idiot-proof as the other models.

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis