Monoprice subwoofers

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I think, you can't even get a quality 12" subwoofer DRIVER with demodulating circuits and meaningful excursion for $84 unless it's for a car ;)

But it might not be bad. Dunno. Without measurements it's a crapshoot. Subjective reviews are rarely helpful with subs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Most of us love monoprice cables and stuffs.

But have you ever even heard of a 12-inch 150WPC Powered Subwoofer that actually looks kind of decent that sells for $84????

That's just CRAZY!:eek:

BTW, DenPureSound (retired electrical engineer who mows his lawn every week) pointed that monoprice subwoofer out to me.:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I think, you can't even get a quality 12" subwoofer DRIVER with demodulating circuits and meaningful excursion for $84 unless it's for a car ;)

But it might not be bad. Dunno. Without measurements it's a crapshoot. Subjective reviews are rarely helpful with subs.
Yep, this would certainly needs to be tested. How can one go wrong for this price though? You can buy 4 for next to nothing ;) and may have a very good effect.
Hard to know how they can do it for this $: driver, amp, box, etc.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
But have you ever even heard of a 12-inch 150WPC Powered Subwoofer that actually looks kind of decent that sells for $84????

For less than $5000 you can get 50 of those!!!!! Now that is just TOO CRAZY!

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I really want to see an in depth review of these. For $85 you really can't complain, but I imagine they won't go deep and will only be suitable for small music systems.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, this would certainly needs to be tested. How can one go wrong for this price though? You can buy 4 for next to nothing ;) and may have a very good effect.
Hard to know how they can do it for this $: driver, amp, box, etc.
I think you, Highfigh, and InTheIndustry should try these out and let us know.:D

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I'd probably rather go for a larger short throw driver in a large box, than a smallerlong throw driver in a smaller box

But how short IS the clean throw of this monoprice woofer? 7mm?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wow. A "HSU-designed" powered sub for $67 shipped to your front porch.:eek:

Four HSU 8" powered subs for $268 shipped.:D

I guess these subs would be good for poor college students who want some bass.:D

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I really want to see an in depth review of these. For $85 you really can't complain, but I imagine they won't go deep and will only be suitable for small music systems.
According to the specifications, the lower end is 30Hz, but they do not specify a tolerance for the frequency response, so it is fairly useless. But even if it were +/-3dB (which it probably isn't because they don't specify the tolerance), it would not be a very good subwoofer.

Still, it might be a good value at its price.

I think one of you who have money to burn and love to play with new toys ought to buy one and tell us all you can about it. Preferably, one of you who has the ability to actually measure its performance, but I don't expect that to happen any time soon. Maybe one of you will ship it off to the people who run this site and get them to measure it and put their review online, and then they can send it back to you after the review.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I think one of you who have money to burn and love to play with new toys ought to buy one and tell us all you can about it. Preferably, one of you who has the ability to actually measure its performance, but I don't expect that to happen any time soon. Maybe one of you will ship it off to the people who run this site and get them to measure it and put their review online, and then they can send it back to you after the review.
I totally would, if I had a 250 ft extension cord :eek:

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Most of us love monoprice cables and stuffs.

BTW, DenPureSound (retired electrical engineer who mows his lawn every week) pointed that monoprice subwoofer out to me.:D
ADTG -- your always close.

Correction Req'd.: Undergrad in Mech. Engr. and Graduate Studies in Elect. Engr. Was always more interested in my 22 BHP Internal Combustion Engine (Kohler Pro) on the Riding Toro Mower - each mow at 4-5 days, and the Sennheiser W/L headphones driven from the Denon AVR-4311CI just does not quite reach that far out in yard -- darn it, but the Kleer Technology is Superb in Sound Quality. :mad:

Maybe next will be a W/L extended range MonoPrice 12" Sub, that I can mount on the back of the TORO Riding Mower! :D

If my property taxes went down, I might think about one of those MonoPrice 12" Subs, as I could not even go buy the materials for that price.

Last edited:
timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
The driver on the Monoprice sub looks identical to the drivers in Dayton Audios entry level subs. I know a guy who bought the 10" version of the DA & i hooked it up for him. The sub was very light & very cheap feeling. I know it wasnt broken in yet when i heard it but it sounded like what youd expect from a cheap sub. Very "thin" & "boomy". If the Monoprice is anythingmlike the cheap DA sub then IMO its not worth the time/$. Maybe for a college kid just getting started but for any simi-serious experience no. $84 is cheap though :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The driver on the Monoprice sub looks identical to the drivers in Dayton Audios entry level subs. I know a guy who bought the 10" version of the DA & i hooked it up for him. The sub was very light & very cheap feeling. I know it wasnt broken in yet when i heard it but it sounded like what youd expect from a cheap sub. Very "thin" & "boomy". If the Monoprice is anythingmlike the cheap DA sub then IMO its not worth the time/$. Maybe for a college kid just getting started but for any simi-serious experience no. $84 is cheap though :)
Hmm, maybe that 8" HSU-esigned sub that sells for $64 is better?:D

I mean HSU can't design anything bad, can he?:eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis