MonoPrice RedMere Active HDMI Cables Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
In the past the best way to combat signal loss in long HDMI cable runs was to use large gauge cable. These cables are unwieldy and result in a lot of problems due to insufficient strain relief and the inability they have to take corners or bend away from the ever-increasingly thin electronics they connect. Now, thanks to RedMere’s microchip active-HDMI technology the cable now operates off the power supplied by the sink device to provide more signal strength amplification than traditional in-line amplifiers. The active amplification provided by the RedMere chip, the full 10.2 Gbps HDMI data throughput can be maintained up to 20 meters (65 feet) and at 6.75 Gbps throughput, which is sufficient for 3D video, is possible up to 30 meters.

Discuss "MonoPrice RedMere Active HDMI Cables Preview" here. Read the article.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
Getting ready to do a 35' run and really looking forward to these.

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
This showed up recently on the Monoprice site:

Active RedMere HDMI Cables

The cables still have a TBD ETA, but at least they are now listed. $67 for a 50 foot active cable that supports 4k video resolution bandwidths seems like a great deal-hopefully they will be in stock sometime soon.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

For a moment, I was worried that this was going to be an April fool's joke. I'm actually venturing to the attic today to see if the wiring project is possible (vaulted ceilings make for little attic access). The Epson 8350 refurb is $999, so, if everything looks good, the only missing piece will be 30' of HDMI.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Finally got my redmere ultra thin cables in the mail today. Just a couple six footers, so I can't comment on how they work for longer distances. They're awesome simply because of how flexible they are :D

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Here's a comparison between a normal 24AWG cable and the redmere ultrathin one:

Porschetech

Porschetech

Audioholic
I bought 5 of those super duper thin hdmi cables and all I can say is wow! Nice improvement in picture and I love how small they are :D

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

I bought 5 of those super duper thin hdmi cables and all I can say is wow! Nice improvement in picture and I love how small they are :D
What cables were you using before that you saw an improvement in picture quality?

Porschetech

Porschetech

Audioholic
I was using the same cable that Philip showed a pic of. I really don't know what monoprice did to these new cables, but colours are more vivid

T

Tanquen

Audiophyte
The cables are sending a digital stream that is then decoded by the display. Different HDMI cables will not change sharpness or colors etc. If you have an over the air HD tuner you can move the antenna around and see how a distant stations digital stream will behave when the analog signal is corrupted enough to lose data. You get artifacts on the screen and or the audio cuts out. It’s kind of like saying my new gold SATA cable really improves the sharpness and colors of the movies I watch from my hard drive.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis