Monoprice In-Ceiling Speakers

J

jb5200

Audioholic
Hi there,

What is the best way to mount these in the ceiling in the basement? Should I build a box around it using some pieces of drywall and shove them up in the floor joists in between to make a box or just mount them and put insulation around them but not over them? I'm looking to get the best sound possible from these without spending a lot of time, labor, $.

BTW, I am in the process of redoing the basement and we start the drywall next week so I want to have all my ducks in a row! I figured I would ask all you experts on here since I am kind of a newbie!

Thanks!

Jefferstone

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Most in-ceiling speakers use a 'dog-leg' clamp to hold the speaker to the drywall. You just cut your hole in the drywall, put the speaker into the hole, and turn the dog legs to clamp the drywall.

If you don't have the drywall up yet, you can usually get a rough in kit that is essentially a bracket with a cutout where the speaker goes and you attach it to the joists. That way, when it comes time to put up the drywall you already know exactly where the speaker should be and can make the cut out for the speaker while the drywall is on the ground.

J

jb5200

Audioholic
Thanks for the info. But do I want to slide a couple of pieces of wood, drywall, etc. on the sides in between the floor joists to create a box around the speaker once it is mounted to the drywall (essentially creating a speaker cabinet/enclosure) or do I mount them to the drywall and leave it all open above the drywall. To me it seems that a lot of sound will escape above the drywall unless I box the speaker in but like I said I am pretty new to inwall/in-ceiling speakers.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I don't think it is necessary to build an enclosure for in-ceiling speakers; at least I've never seen any mounted that way.

Most of the time in-ceiling speakers are installed into existing drywall, which is why they all have a similar clamp mechanism to secure it to the drywall and no built-in provision for an enclosure.

J

jb5200

Audioholic
Thanks,

That just seems wierd to me, having it all open above the speaker. I would think that a lot of the sound would escape through the back of the speaker vs. being force to come out throught the front - tweeter/woofers. But, what do I know, that's why I wanted to double check before I install the drywall.

Thanks again!

G

griffinconst

Senior Audioholic
Hey JB
I wonder about this as well.
I have ceiling speakers throughout the house for music and they are weak in the bass. It seems if I built a box around the back with some deadening material, more bass would come out into the room. These are cheapies though. I bet if you buy good ones, the designers took this into account.
That being said, I'll bet if you call the company of the ones you decide to purchase, they will tell you how to get the best performance out of their speakers.
Let us know what you find out. I'm sure more than I would like the answer to this question.
Drywall tip: If it's a bit tight, shave the edge with a hasp or cut it a little smaller. Forcing it in will break the corner causing way more work when you tape and mud it.;)

J

jb5200

Audioholic
Thanks for everybody's input. Well, as I read some of the reviews on their website, (they are highly rated btw for what they cost) it seems that one person built a styrofoam insulation box around it by sliding some pieces on the sides in between the floor joists and spraying the corners with spray foam to seal the corners. He said they improved the bass output and made a difference in the overall sound. I think I am going to slide the stryofoam pieces and curve them around and nail to the floor joists and call it good!

If anyone else has an easier/better solution please let us know since b/c like the thread states there are more than a few people that have the same question.

Thanks again for everybody's help!

E

erock9174

Audioholic Intern
this thread talked about mounting the Monoprice in ceiling speakers but has anybody purchased them and care to let us know how they sound.
For $50 a pair that price is killer compared in ceiling speakers from Lowes, Home Depot and HH Gregg.
This would be for rear surrounds.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis