Monoprice 50w tube/hybrid bluetooth amp.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I didn't dislike the stock sound. I was just more curious as to what the tubes functioned as. I do like the sound of the Ruski tubes better though, but without a direct side-by-side, I likely would not have known.

It was about $18 for all four tubes and they came as matched pairs.

This is just a novelty purchase to hook up to my full range projects. Something to look at and tinker with.
I see. $18 is not bad at all. Especially, if it improved the sound more to your liking. Note to self: I do NOT need a monoprice tube amp........LOL!!!! :D:D:p:D:D

Cheers,

Phil

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I see. $18 is not bad at all. Especially, if it improved the sound more to your liking. Note to self: I do NOT need a monoprice tube amp........LOL!!!! :D:D:p:D:D

Cheers,

Phil
It's not really that interesting. It rings of how much cheap Chinese crap we are surrounded with. There are capable class D amps/boards that actually work well for under $10 a pair. Add a couple efficient speakers, and nearly disposable laptop power bricks and the idea of spending hundreds, never mind thousands, on amplification, becomes kind of ridiculous.

Unless you really want something to play with. It's like those novelty toys that you used to be able to find at Radio Shack. I've considered ripping it apart and making a more interesting enclosure for it.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The Cambridge SR 20 does a great job for my Wharfies. But, I just want more power. The SR 20 is no slouch, but it is so very polite. That is why I think that the Outlaw 2160 is the perfect fit for me... :):):)
But that would ruin he "British Invasion" vibe you have going with your Wharfedales and Cambridge Audio gear!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
But that would ruin he "British Invasion" vibe you have going with your Wharfedales and Cambridge Audio gear!
Upgrading to a 2160 would NOT ruin my British connection at all. Never hurts to have more power. But, the 2160 is just a bit more than I want to spend right now. As such, my SR20 will suffice. The ONLY really issue I am having is w/my TV. That is, still having a hard time hearing dialogue.

Commercials are plenty loud as are the explosions, and etc. But, once the show/movie starts I struggle to hear what the heck is being said. Going to remedy that very soon. Maybe even tomorrow. :):):) Have a few ideas.....LOL!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Upgrading to a 2160 would NOT ruin my British connection at all. Never hurts to have more power. But, the 2160 is just a bit more than I want to spend right now. As such, my SR20 will suffice. The ONLY really issue I am having is w/my TV. That is, still having a hard time hearing dialogue.

Commercials are plenty loud as are the explosions, and etc. But, once the show/movie starts I struggle to hear what the heck is being said. Going to remedy that very soon. Maybe even tomorrow. :):):) Have a few ideas.....LOL!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil
TV pissed me off enough to quit it. I don't miss it. I go the hell outdoors and find something to do. Other than that, while indoors, it's music and reading. Sometimes I drive to the bay and toss a line in the water. Blood pressure goes down and stays that way. I have a vegetable garden. I hang out there with a light and all kinds of critters come to visit. What the heck is a TV going to do better than that?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja

Cheers,

Phil
How could 100w/ch not be enough? I've pissed my neighbors off with a lot less than that and they are a good distance away.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
TV pissed me off enough to quit it. I don't miss it. I go the hell outdoors and find something to do. Other than that, while indoors, it's music and reading. Sometimes I drive to the bay and toss a line in the water. Blood pressure goes down and stays that way. I have a vegetable garden. I hang out there with a light and all kinds of critters come to visit. What the heck is a TV going to do better than that?
You have a point. But, I love to watch my KY basketball games. Tomorrow night is their first game that actually counts. Been watching a lot of National Geographic Wild lately. Like you, I also listen to a lot of my music. Getting ready to rent a BR or two come this weekend. Nothing wrong w/being outdoors at all. I do that some myself. Oh, been doing some cooking as well. Getting better at making cake look presentable....LOL!!!!! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
How could 100w/ch not be enough? I've pissed my neighbors off with a lot less than that and they are a good distance away.
It is enough. But, like my 220's the SR20 is very laid-back. Just curious to see what more power and perhaps not a "laid-back" signature would make my 220's sound. Don't get me wrong here. I am very happy w/the SR20 for the most part. At times, I do wish it was a bit more robust.

Cheers,

Phil

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
It is enough. But, like my 220's the SR20 is very laid-back. Just curious to see what more power and perhaps not a "laid-back" signature would make my 220's sound. Don't get me wrong here. I am very happy w/the SR20 for the most part. At times, I do wish it was a bit more robust.

Cheers,

Phil
Do you use EQ? What sources do you use through the SR20? I'm not really familiar with all the digital stuff people use these days. I mostly use my pc without any additional DAC to my Denon but I use the EQ from my soundcard software.

Here's my settings for the little full rangers I just built. They are not what I would call, "laid back." These settings would tend to soften them a bit with some slight emphasis on the lower frequencies for the subwoofer (and a little on the FR speakers LF) that is crossed over at 120hz.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Do you use EQ? What sources do you use through the SR20? I'm not really familiar with all the digital stuff people use these days. I mostly use my pc without any additional DAC to my Denon but I use the EQ from my soundcard software.

Here's my settings for the little full rangers I just built. They are not what I would call, "laid back." These settings would tend to soften them a bit with some slight emphasis on the lower frequencies for the subwoofer (and a little on the FR speakers LF) that is crossed over at 120hz.

No, I do not use any EQ. My desktop is directly connected to my SR20 via dig-coax. I use an adapter for that very purpose. Might look at adding an EQ of some sorts down the road. Something employing BBE technology. Some changes coming soon to my setup! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

D

DLeague

Audioholic Intern
Yes the tubes are the preamp, and they do have a warming effect. What nobody says is the higher definition (separating) of the instruments and voices. Lastly the sound stage is much wider than my Marantz or Cambridge Audio Amplifiers. I did roll the tubes to a set from "thetubestore.com" $53/shipped. They are built in North America and tend to exact more detail. The 38-40 watt/channel at 8 ohms is more than enough power to drive my Canton GLE 436 pedestal mount speakers. The tubes do not reduce the bass in the music in any way.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Yes the tubes are the preamp, and they do have a warming effect. What nobody says is the higher definition (separating) of the instruments and voices. Lastly the sound stage is much wider than my Marantz or Cambridge Audio Amplifiers. I did roll the tubes to a set from "thetubestore.com" $53/shipped. They are built in North America and tend to exact more detail. The 38-40 watt/channel at 8 ohms is more than enough power to drive my Canton GLE 436 pedestal mount speakers. The tubes do not reduce the bass in the music in any way.
I did upgrade the tubes. I ended up giving the amp to my youngest son who has it hooked up to a huge pair of BSR speakers. It actually sounds much better than current audiophilia would dare admit.

Me, I went the other route, venturing instead into FET amps as a seeming, best of both worlds. I like the Pass DIY amps better than I do the monoprice amp.

D

DLeague

Audioholic Intern
I did upgrade the tubes. I ended up giving the amp to my youngest son who has it hooked up to a huge pair of BSR speakers. It actually sounds much better than current audiophilia would dare admit.

Me, I went the other route, venturing instead into FET amps as a seeming, best of both worlds. I like the Pass DIY amps better than I do the monoprice amp.
I read so many lies in the comments about the tubes not working in the circuit. It's simple, remove the tubes and the solid state front end should work. Wrong, the tubes are required, and there is a difference between the sound of the Chinese tubes and the Russian tubes Thetubestore sold. I thought I had Canadian tubes, but I examined the boxes and they are Russian. Even so, there is an improvement in the sound (which was already good). I'm always amazed someone buys a $200 amp of any type and starts comparing them with a $1000 amp. Fools everyone!!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I read so many lies in the comments about the tubes not working in the circuit. It's simple, remove the tubes and the solid state front end should work. Wrong, the tubes are required, and there is a difference between the sound of the Chinese tubes and the Russian tubes Thetubestore sold. I thought I had Canadian tubes, but I examined the boxes and they are Russian. Even so, there is an improvement in the sound (which was already good). I'm always amazed someone buys a $200 amp of any type and starts comparing them with a $1000 amp. Fools everyone!!
Russian tubes tend to be the more sought after variety!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis