Monopole or bipole for rears?

J

jwhatti

Audiophyte
I have a long room (18 feet long) with the seating roughly in the middle. Due to windows and doors, the rears are on the side walls about 6 feet behind the listening position.

With this set up, should I get bipole speakers for the rears or bookshelves on a mount angled to aim towards the listening position?

I’m specifically looking at the Monitor Audio Bronze FX vs Bronze 1 and would be part of a 5.1 set up.

Thanks for your feedback!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are you talking about rear surrounds or surrounds? If surrounds sounds like you have them placed better already. Is this a 5 or 7 channel setup (5 ch only has surrounds, 7 ch uses surrounds plus rear surrounds) ?

J

jwhatti

Audiophyte
Sorry. Not well versed in the terminology. It is 5 channel only system.

Placement is set due to wires already run and a wall of windows. I get that it’s not optimal so trying to figure out what would make it “less bad” for the rear/surrounds. Thanks

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
For 5.1, I personally prefer monopole.
‘Sup goon squad!
I also prefer monopoles. I don’t like the diffuse sound of di/bipoles.

OP, if you have any way to listen to them, I would take the opportunity. Hopefully you can get a good idea.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
‘Sup goon squad!
I also prefer monopoles. I don’t like the diffuse sound of di/bipoles.

OP, if you have any way to listen to them, I would take the opportunity. Hopefully you can get a good idea.
Agreed switching from bipoles to monopoles for my surrounds was just night and day difference for atmos and dts object based formats

The bipoles didn't sound bad but they couldn't image or pan the sound around the room very well at all

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I vote monopoles over bipoles from my experience. Good luck! :)

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I would definitely place them closer then 9 feet back but it depends monopoles and bipolar we for different stuff . Mono better for direct surround like facing 1 spot.// and are better usually .
I’ve never had high end bipolar or diplolar they can work. However Ive never heard any before .
Cannot say listen to both or go with monoplanes!!
Reptilians invading in year 2025
Tesla spoken to them

Last edited:
Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
I would definitely place them closer then 9 feet back but it depends monopoles and bipolar we for different stuff . Mono better for direct surround like facing 1 spot.// and are better usually .
I’ve never had high end bipolar or diplolar they can work. However Ive never heard any before .
Cannot say listen to both or go with monoplanes!!
Reptilians invading in year 2025
Tesla spoken to them
Kingnoob, I find it hard to believe you've never had any experience with bipolar. :oops:
Sorry man, couldn't resist busting your chops a little. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis