Monoliths THX 3 way in-wall speakers experience?

D

Dal1as

Junior Audioholic
I'm planning a theater build I hope to start in the next year. Basically rebuilding the basement. Theater will be 13.5×20×8. 1 row of 3 seats in the front (12 ft from 130 inch screen) and bar seating and workstation/nerve center behind it. I plan on a 7.4.4 or.6 system with all speakers built into speaker soffits like many recording studios and high end theaters do. I figure since it's a smallish room it will open it up some and also give a more balanced larger sweet spot.

I've heard the Monolith 3 way mini towers and really liked the sound but want to go in wall to do what I stated above.

Anyone have experience with this type of setup? I know the room and speakers are 75% of the sound of a system and often overlooked.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks for any input.
Final basement plan.jpeg

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That's pretty much how I did my theater that's in my signature, but I'm curious as to where your atmos speakers are planned to go since they aren't labeled.

I think I have an idea based on your diagram, but it'd be easier if we knew for sure.

One thing I'd advise is to use an AT screen if you are going all in-wall like I did. I had cabinet speakers in my first theater and I much prefer them over in-walls due to the MUCH better bass output. If you can get speakers with cabinets, but built into the wall, that will get you much better sound. You can build boxes in-wall before you get the speakers installed so that shouldn't be an issue. The AT screen is really great just because all the sound is coming from the screen. It'll help with the theater effect you're going for.

Are you set on the Monoliths just because of what you've already heard or because of budget? I ask because if you're like me and you are looking at the "frequency range" part on the specs page, it looks nice. However, when you look at the graph you can tell they drop off after around 100hz. I don't know what their f3 is, but I think THX says it should be 80hz.

Then you need to consider subs. I have one in each corner of my room and the bass is nice and even. It looks like you plan to do something similar, but I'm not 100% sure without labels. I don't want to assume anything. Do you have an idea on what subs you'll get? If the f3 of your speakers is high, then a good sub/s will help quite a bit at evening things out.

I'm sure others will chime in, but that's my $.02 worth

D

Dal1as

Junior Audioholic
That's pretty much how I did my theater that's in my signature, but I'm curious as to where your atmos speakers are planned to go since they aren't labeled.

I think I have an idea based on your diagram, but it'd be easier if we knew for sure.

One thing I'd advise is to use an AT screen if you are going all in-wall like I did. I had cabinet speakers in my first theater and I much prefer them over in-walls due to the MUCH better bass output. If you can get speakers with cabinets, but built into the wall, that will get you much better sound. You can build boxes in-wall before you get the speakers installed so that shouldn't be an issue. The AT screen is really great just because all the sound is coming from the screen. It'll help with the theater effect you're going for.

Are you set on the Monoliths just because of what you've already heard or because of budget? I ask because if you're like me and you are looking at the "frequency range" part on the specs page, it looks nice. However, when you look at the graph you can tell they drop off after around 100hz. I don't know what their f3 is, but I think THX says it should be 80hz.

Then you need to consider subs. I have one in each corner of my room and the bass is nice and even. It looks like you plan to do something similar, but I'm not 100% sure without labels. I don't want to assume anything. Do you have an idea on what subs you'll get? If the f3 of your speakers is high, then a good sub/s will help quite a bit at evening things out.

I'm sure others will chime in, but that's my $.02 worth
Yes I plan to use an AT screen. This will essentially be a room within a room with angled baffles for the left, right, rear left, rear right speakers and the atmos/height speakers will be built into baffles within the ceiling soffits with AT material hiding them. No in ceiling speakers.

I like the Monoliths for a lot of reasons and with 4 subs will not needs bed level speakers with output below 80 hz and they are supposed to be really good in the mid-bass.

As for subs will probably go with 4 fv-15s or 4 of the Monolith THX 15s. All eqed with REW, etc.

Thanks for the input. Will check out your theater.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis