Monolith 7x200w for 6x JBL 590s .. Overkill?

G

gaby95

Audioholic
Hi.

So I was wondering as I will be setting up 6x JBL 590s and one monolith thx 365c center ( with plans to have another 590 as center in the future)... if I should add an amp to my Denon x4400h.

I don't really play very loud so maybe it's a waste but some people claim that even more efficient speakers and not super loud levels can benefit from amplification.

Originally I was considering the outlaw 7000 or 5000 (as I have an old Kenwood km1000x 2 channel amp). But a local posted a Monolith 7x200 and made me drool lol

What are your thoughts...a waste of money or worth it

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Let me know how the Monolith 365C sounds with the 590s because I'm thinking about trying one with my JBL Studio 570s. I really want to try a 3 way center channel sometime.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hi.

So I was wondering as I will be setting up 6x JBL 590s and one monolith thx 365c center ( with plans to have another 590 as center in the future)... if I should add an amp to my Denon x4400h.

I don't really play very loud so maybe it's a waste but some people claim that even more efficient speakers and not super loud levels can benefit from amplification.

Originally I was considering the outlaw 7000 or 5000 (as I have an old Kenwood km1000x 2 channel amp). But a local posted a Monolith 7x200 and made me drool lol

As an owner of 590's myself they are very dynamic and efficient. We don't know your listening distances but for a lot of situations you could probably just use the AVR

But they can handle and do like the power. And extra headroom for movies and music is never a bad thing

G

gaby95

Audioholic
It may be overkill. ;) but you will never run out of headroom. :D
Yeah is that nice feeling inside knowing you got so much headroom :D vs just using the AVR (and the kenwood for LR) or maybe a cheaper Outlaw 7000 will do the trick of giving me that mental peace... LOL

G

gaby95

Audioholic
Let me know how the Monolith 365C sounds with the 590s because I'm thinking about trying one with my JBL Studio 570s. I really want to try a 3 way center channel sometime.
I have tested so many centers side by side looking for a nice one for my 590s (until the day I can fit another 590 that is) and so far the THX 365c has been my favorite. Mainly because it is very clear, as expected by its great horizontal dispersion, and also projects it sounds nicely away from the enclosure so you are not constantly reminded of the sounds coming out of the box like the Emotiva C2+ for example which was VERY directional not to mention its other issues.
I was already to call it the winner but recently received the SVS Ultra Center and my opinion may be shifting. On Monday I will finally have the time to compare them fully and make my final call. :) Then again, for almost $400 more, the SVS better floor me to make it worth it!

G

gaby95

Audioholic
As an owner of 590's myself they are very dynamic and efficient. We don't know your listening distances but for a lot of situations you could probably just use the AVR

But they can handle and do like the power. And extra headroom for movies and music is never a bad thing
And that is the thing, even with efficient speakers (I sit 10 feet from the LR), some people say that they can hear the differences of the speakers "coming alive" with more power. Just makes me very curious as I havent tried an amp in more than 10 years and at that time, I was not blown away but it was a different (very bad room) and lesser equipment.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I have tested so many centers side by side looking for a nice one for my 590s (until the day I can fit another 590 that is) and so far the THX 365c has been my favorite. Mainly because it is very clear, as expected by its great horizontal dispersion, and also projects it sounds nicely away from the enclosure so you are not constantly reminded of the sounds coming out of the box like the Emotiva C2+ for example which was VERY directional not to mention its other issues.
I was already to call it the winner but recently received the SVS Ultra Center and my opinion may be shifting. On Monday I will finally have the time to compare them fully and make my final call. :) Then again, for almost $400 more, the SVS better floor me to make it worth it!
They you very much for that. I would love the SVS Ultra center but it's 799.99 and it looks quite large. I was gonna try the SVS Prime center but haven't pulled the trigger yet. The Monolith 365C seems perfect as it's not too large or doesn't look it anyway, it's at a good price and of course 3 way.
Erin from Erin's corner really liked it too. That too really did down into the numbers. I don't think he gives a crap about saying what the deal truly is. Send extremely honest.

G

gaby95

Audioholic
They you very much for that. I would love the SVS Ultra center but it's 799.99 and it looks quite large. I was gonna try the SVS Prime center but haven't pulled the trigger yet. The Monolith 365C seems perfect as it's not too large or doesn't look it anyway, it's at a good price and of course 3 way.
Erin from Erin's corner really liked it too. That too really did down into the numbers. I don't think he gives a crap about saying what the deal truly is. Send extremely honest.
Yeah the Monolith is really good and so much better than others I tried like the RSC200, 504c, Emotiva C2+. I liked it more than the Elac UC52 and the RC64 III as well

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think ANY of us NEED an external amp with the AVRs for the speakers.

We just WANT them. :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
And that is the thing, even with efficient speakers (I sit 10 feet from the LR), some people say that they can hear the differences of the speakers "coming alive" with more power. Just makes me very curious as I havent tried an amp in more than 10 years and at that time, I was not blown away but it was a different (very bad room) and lesser equipment.
I think this “comes alive” statement is a sign of bias portrayed by many looking to affirm their expenditure. :) It’s not to say a very difficult to drive speaker with very low impedance minima and challenging phase angle cannot or will not benefit. It is also not to say that having ample headroom to keep the Amp in its most linear range is not also a possible benefit.
I prefer to think of it simply by not expecting a change in SQ, rather in overall performance envelope. What the Speaker needs, when it needs it, will be available to it. :)

G

gaby95

Audioholic
I think this “comes alive” statement is a sign of bias portrayed by many looking to affirm their expenditure. :) It’s not to say a very difficult to drive speaker with very low impedance minima and challenging phase angle cannot or will not benefit. It is also not to say that having ample headroom to keep the Amp in its most linear range is not also a possible benefit.
I prefer to think of it simply by not expecting a change in SQ, rather in overall performance envelope. What the Speaker needs, when it needs it, will be available to it. :)
Very good points and I tend to agree with that bias concept after spending so much on a new piece of gear :)
My excitement about getting it is beginning to die slowly now lol

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hi.

You wouldn't need a Monolith 7 X 200 for your HT system. But if you want more headroom, I would suggest that you only get a 3 channel Monolith.

As a matter of fact, only the 3 front channels use most of the power required. In all practical situations, the surround channels don't need much power and your receiver should be able to drive them without any hitch. This way, you wouldn't be short of power and you would save money while protecting the 3 front speakers from possibly clipping amplifiers. Another advantage of the 3 channel amp is that it would be easier on your back as it is quite lighter than the 7 channel beast.

G

gaby95

Audioholic
You wouldn't need a Monolith 7 X 200 for your HT system. But if you want more headroom, I would suggest that you only get a 3 channel Monolith.

As a matter of fact, only the 3 front channels use most of the power required. In all practical situations, the surround channels don't need much power and your receiver should be able to drive them without any hitch. This way, you wouldn't be short of power and you would save money while protecting the 3 front speakers from possibly clipping amplifiers. Another advantage of the 3 channel amp is that it would be easier on your back as it is quite lighter than the 7 channel beast.
How about an Outlaw 5000x then and only use 3 channels for it (I still can use my Kenwood for 2 other channels)? That will be cheaper and indeed lighter cause that 100lb beast of the 7x200w was already hurting my hockey damaged back :D

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
How about an Outlaw 5000x then and only use 3 channels for it (I still can use my Kenwood for 2 other channels)? That will be cheaper and indeed lighter cause that 100lb beast of the 7x200w was already hurting my hockey damaged back :D
The Outlaw 5000 is a good amplifier too. But why would you need to use your Kenwood if you have 5 amps with the Outlaw? I just don't understand your thinking.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
3 monoblocks for the Front? ;)

(I am not biased in any way. Nope... definitely not biased.)
*whistles aimlessly, walks away
:cool:

G

gaby95

Audioholic
The Outlaw 5000 is a good amplifier too. But why would you need to use your Kenwood if you have 5 amps with the Outlaw? I just don't understand your thinking.
well I have 7 channels.. so I could do 5 + 2 or I would expect the outlaw 5000x to deliver more power to 3 channels vs using all 5 but still at a cheaper price than a Monolith if I am going to be saving more money.

G

gaby95

Audioholic
3 monoblocks for the Front? ;)

(I am not biased in any way. Nope... definitely not biased.)
*whistles aimlessly, walks away
:cool:
:D 3 of those would be very close to the asking price from the local seller for the 7x200w Monolith :D

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
well I have 7 channels.. so I could do 5 + 2 or I would expect the outlaw 5000x to deliver more power to 3 channels vs using all 5 but still at a cheaper price than a Monolith if I am going to be saving more money.
Your Denon X4400H has a power rating of 105watts/ch. In my opinion, the Outlaw's power output is only 120 watts, less than 1 dB more, and that would be a waste of money.

If you go with external amplification, the 3 channel 200 w/ch Monolith would be the wiser decision. As I previously said, your receiver is amply capable of driving all the surround channels with the use of external front channel amplification.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis