Monitor out question

M

modman

Audioholic
I have a Yamaha A1000, located in a rack which is across the room from my viewing position. I purchased a small LED TV and put it in my rack, so I could monitor operations (HTPC ripping, audio selections, settings, etc.) without having to turn on my TV. I connected the small TV to the Monitor Out outputs of the receiver (this is a component connection). The receiver puts out a signal to the main TV using HDMI.

So here's my question -- I thought the Monitor Out video signal would mirror anything going out through HDMI to the main TV. This works when I select CD or Net or HTPC as the source. But, when I select Cable or DVD as the source, the small TV only displays the standard music image (the inside of a grand piano), rather than live TV or whatever the DVD player is playing.

Any clues?

Thanks

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. I suspect that it's because of this: the receiver will not convert an HDMI video input for output through the component video jacks. For the sources, are all of the ones that you can see on the monitor non-HDMI video inputs, and all of the ones that you can't see on the monitor HDMI video inputs?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
That is correct.
Well, then you have your answer. :)

Does your new LED TV have an HDMI input? If so, connecting it to the receiver using HDMI would let you see everything that you're watching on your TV.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Well, then you have your answer. :)

Does your new LED TV have an HDMI input? If so, connecting it to the receiver using HDMI would let you see everything that you're watching on your TV.
That would be fine unless someone is watching the main TV and the receiver "dumbs down" the HDMI resolution to that of the lower res monitor because of EDID.

The joys of HDMI, eh?

M

modman

Audioholic
I remembered that the receiver has a second HDMI out, so I hooked it to the small TV...and now I see all of the information on the screen. I have not yet checked to see if it has affected the main TV image.

I always get good advice in this forum. Thanks!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I remembered that the receiver has a second HDMI out, so I hooked it to the small TV...and now I see all of the information on the screen. I have not yet checked to see if it has affected the main TV image.

I always get good advice in this forum. Thanks!
If hte small TV is capable of 720 or 1080, you probably won't see a difference but if the smaller one is only good for 480, you should be able to. Once the small one is turned off, the receiver will go back to displaying the high res video, although you may need to turn the TV Off/On to get it to make the change.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis