Monitor Audio PL300 II vs ELAC 507 Jet. General comparision, Speaker cabinet geometry...etc

O

oren rokach

Audiophyte
Hi Guys,
I have doubts between the two.
I have heard the ELAC 507 a month ago and was very impressed.
https://www.elac.com/product/fs-507-vx-jet/

Yesterday i have being listening to Monitor Audio PL300 II, and swear to god, it almost made me cry. The sound was stunning. real smooth and rich , the shop owner had to scrap me from the couch an hour and half later (trust me, i am not a promoter of any manufacturer...)
I am the kind of guy who believe in love at first sight. so i would buy them with no second thoughts. but my only problem is their size, would be hard to fit thos giants in my living room without my wife noticing.
ELAC is much narrower, and its speaker cabinet is somehow smaller.

I am a newbie at this area, but i started to get the feeling the size of drivers and cabinet size are a major factor. physics is physics.

The bass driver of the PL300 (8 inch vs 7inch) is bigger , and mostly the speaker cabinet is much larger as well. Can i assume therefor the ELAC will have trouble sounding the same as the PL300?

Unfortunately, i can't put them both at the same room, and switch from one the other.

Insights?
Thanks!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wow. All this time I thought Elac only sold economy speakers.

Then I saw the price of the Elac fs 509 on Amazon for $7,500 each or $15,000/pair. :eek:

I don't see any measurements for the Elac F507, but Elac website says the F3 is 26Hz. Don't know if I can believe that number. I would believe more like 36Hz.

Stereophile shows the MA PL300 F3 as 26-27Hz.

MA PL300: 13,046 cubic-in/120 lbs/ 8" x 2 woofers
MA PL200: 9,600 cubic-in/79 lbs/ 6.5" x 2 woofers
Elac 507: 8,463 cubic-in/82 lbs/ 7" x 2 woofers
Elac 509: 12,474 cubic-in/126 lbs/ 8.5" x 2 woofers

So I would estimate that the PL300 has a lot more bass than the Elac 507.

I think the Elac 507 is more comparable to the MA PL200 and the Elac 509 is more comparable to the MA PL300.

Last edited:
O

oren rokach

Audiophyte
Thanks!
The way the 507 do sound amazing, i would believe the spec their advertise.
so judging by your answer, its all about the size . drivers + volume of cabinet.
no high-tech NASA tunnels that can do the same in a smaller size?
And only for the bass? is if i want to make a compact combination, can i use a high-end shelves and high -end bass seperated and reach same results?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks!
The way the 507 do sound amazing, i would believe the spec their advertise.
so judging by your answer, its all about the size . drivers + volume of cabinet.
no high-tech NASA tunnels that can do the same in a smaller size?
And only for the bass? is if i want to make a compact combination, can i use a high-end shelves and high -end bass seperated and reach same results?
There is no replacement for displacement.

Bigger cabinets + drivers and good efficiency design will give us more bass, more dynamics capable of much higher volume and lower distortion.

You could accomplish the same results with bigger more dynamic "bookshelf speakers" + big subwoofers since big "Towers of Power" are essentially "bookshelf speakers" atop subwoofers.

My personal speakers are made of 2 separate cabinets - top cabinet for tweeter/midrange and bottom cabinet for subwoofers.

Last edited:
O

oren rokach

Audiophyte
Exactly what i was looking for!
(why the hell wasn't i offered that in my store)
and you can reach i guess same sound as th ePL300II ? :)

what brand are those cabinets?
are you still using stereo amp, just connnecting in parralel each speaker output to 2 different speakers?

thanks!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Exactly what i was looking for!
(why the hell wasn't i offered that in my store)
and you can reach i guess same sound as th ePL300II ? :)

what brand are those cabinets?
are you still using stereo amp, just connnecting in parralel each speaker output to 2 different speakers?

thanks!!
Those are the new RBH SVT "Towers of power".

http://www.audioholics.com/recommended-systems/towers-of-power-a-look-at-the-best-super-speakers

They look like towers. RBH calls them "modular" towers. The top cabinet is the SV-831. The bottom cabinet is literally a true subwoofer SV-1212.

You can use an AVR like the Denon X3300 or similar to power the top cabinets (2 Ch).

You will also need another amp to power the bass cabinets. You could use a Crown amp, Dayton amp, or any other amp with volume control.

In my system I use a single RBH SA-500DSP amp to power both the subwoofer cabinets. I wire the 2 bottom cabinets in series.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis