Monitor Audio FX Surround Power Rating

K

KakaPudi

Audiophyte
Hi there,

I own monitor audio bronze center channel which is rated at 120-Watts. To sonically match i ordered Monitor Audio FX Bronze series for surround (https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/product-ranges/bronze/bronze-fx/). I own an Yamaha RX-A-1050 receiver which is 110 Watt capable. is there any problem connecting surrounds to my receiver?. I checked there next line of speakers which is Silver which is also rated at 85-Watts. I don't understand why there center and front channel from same series are rated at 120-Watts but surrounds are just 80-Watt capable. Can some one shed some light on this. Hope i m not inviting any trouble integrating with my receiver.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hi there,

I own monitor audio bronze center channel which is rated at 120-Watts. To sonically match i ordered Monitor Audio FX Bronze series for surround (https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/product-ranges/bronze/bronze-fx/). I own an Yamaha RX-A-1050 receiver which is 110 Watt capable. is there any problem connecting surrounds to my receiver?. I checked there next line of speakers which is Silver which is also rated at 85-Watts. I don't understand why there center and front channel from same series are rated at 120-Watts but surrounds are just 80-Watt capable. Can some one shed some light on this. Hope i m not inviting any trouble integrating with my receiver.
No issue at all, I'd doubt that they will ever see 5 watts, unless you listen to multi channel classical, in then still not much more with peaks on surrounds.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Matching wattage between speakers and between speaker and AVR is not that important. You mainly want to make certain that the Amp stage has enough power in terms of Wattage and Current to satisfly the needs of the speakers you are driving. (ie, a speaker with giant woofers and a very low impedance and hard phase angle at the low impedance point will likely need a more robust amp).
The MA speakers seem to all be fairly easy to drive and are decent sensitivity, so you should have no problems sticking with the Bronze line.
Keep in mind, you do not need to match up your surrounds the way you want your mains and center matched. ;) Nothing wrong in matching them either, though. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Max wattage rating of a speaker is more often only telling you the maximum power before things go wrong (i.e. melting point) and not an indicator that their sound quality with that much power is "ideal". You can use a much more powerful amp, just be prudent with the volume control. More important for amp considerations to look at a speakers' impedance and sensitivity spec. I'd think since MA has designated these surrounds as bronze they'll be just fine with your fronts....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis