Monitor Audio CP-CT380IDC In-Ceiling Speaker Overview

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
As I've said in many other threads, in-ceiling speakers are getting a lot more attention lately. Many people are upgrading their systems in order to accommodate newer audio formats like Auro-3D & Dolby Atmos which require in-ceiling speakers. So if you are one of them, you might want to take a look at the Monitor Audio CP-CT380IDC In-Ceiling Speaker.
1080_Large.jpg

This speaker incorporates Monitor Audio’s pivoting Inverted Dual Concentric (IDC®) midrange/tweeter module combined with a single 8-inch RST® C-CAM® bass driver, in a 3-way design. The IDC module features a 4-inch C-CAM inverted midrange driver which surrounds a 1-inch C-CAM gold dome tweeter. For convenience, the mid/tweeter unit can be pointed at the listening area to provide better sound imaging and impact. Check out the following features and specifications for more details. Also don't forget to share your impressions.

FEATURES:
  • Pivoting module consisting of IDC midrange driver and C-CAM gold dome tweeter.
  • C-CAM bass driver featuring Rigid Surface Technology (RST).
  • High overall efficiency.
  • High frequency level adjustment (+/-3dB).
  • Midrange frequency level adjustment (+/-3dB).
  • Boundary compensation controls.Our innovative Tri-Grip® fixing system is easier to install than conventional clamping schemes but provides three times the surface area and a better surface seal, maximizing bass response and mid-range clarity.
  • Magnetic and easily removable steel grille.
  • Paint-able surface to blend with the living environment. Additional scrim material is provided for trouble free painting.
  • Airtight enclosure design, which protects each precision-engineered driver system against the damaging ingress of dust and dirt.
SPECIFICATIONS:
  • Frequency Response: 50Hz - 30kHz
  • Impedance (Nominal): 6 Ohms
  • Sensitivity (1W@1M): 89 dB
  • Maximum SPL: 109.6 dBA
  • Power Handling (RMS): 120 W
  • Recommended Amp Requirements: 30 - 120W.
  • Crossover Frequency / Slope: Bass low pass: 300 Hz @ 6 dB / Octave
  • Mid: 300 Hz @ 6 dB / Octave & 3 kHz @ 12 dB / Octave.
  • Drivers Unit Complement: 3-Way
  • 8˝ C-CAM RST® cone bass driver.
  • 4˝ C-CAM IDC® cone mid range driver.
  • 1˝ C-CAM gold dome tweeter (tweeter & midrange driver combined in a pivoting module).
  • Adjustment Controls: HF Level Switch( +3dB / 0dB / -3dB ) / MF Level Switch (+3dB/ 0dB/ -3dB) / Boundary Compensation Switch.
  • Overall Diameter (including grille): 12-3/16"
  • Overall Depth (including grille): 7-3/8"
  • Cut Out Diameter: 10-13/16"
  • Mounting Depth: 7-1/8"
  • Fixing Type: 3 position Tri-Grip® dog leg fixings.
  • Construction Material: Mineral Filled ABS Plastic (RoHS2 Compliant).
  • Pre-Construction Bracket: CB10 (Light Brown).
  • Weight: 9 lbs, 8oz.
  • Cable Connection: Gold plated 'push' type terminals.
Price: $849.00/each.

Click on the following thumbnails to zoom in.
CP-CT380IDC.jpg cpct380idc.large.png 1064_Large.jpg

timingchain

timingchain

Audiophyte
Wondering if anyone has experience with these Monitor Audio speakers, or MA in general.

Halfway through a renovation right now and it's time to pick the speakers. I need the backbox (like most people) to minimize sound loss (upstairs) and heat loss (outside) in the various places I'd like to put speakers.

The MA certainly look impressive but they seem to be much more expensive than a competitive B&W speaker -- are they that much better? I was considering a Bowers & Wilkins set (CCM663) for in-ceiling application ---they're rated to handle 120wpc at around a $350/each pricepoint, where MA's equivalent from this series (CP-CT260) at $350/each is rated at just ~65wpc if I remember correctly, well below what today's receivers are putting out!
Anyone happy with their MA speakers and have a glowing report to share?

R

Ralph Bragg

Audiophyte
Hi,

It's a month late but in case any one else is interested my experience of this.
I have recently installed a 5 speaker home theatre system made up of a 3 CP-CT380IDC for front sound stage and 2 CP-CT260's for the rears.

Very easy installation and what turned out to be fantastically lucky one as the front three speakers fitted exactly between the joists in the ceiling before i discovered that the rear of the room's joists was an inch / inch+half narrower... luckily the 260's were an inch narrower as well... rookie mistake to make so it very much pays to check every joist location!

The trigrip installation was a piece of cake to use (power drill, 3 screws job done)

Onto the Sound, Love it, fantastic treble and mid range, however a dedicated sub-woofer of some description really is required to complete the instllation. Reading other reviews and forums will let you know that going in.

I haven't yet tried adjusting any of the crossover frequencies or items on the speakers so if anyone has any advice or recommendations please shout.

Hope you find this useful.

Cheers,
RB

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
Hi,

It's a month late but in case any one else is interested my experience of this.
I have recently installed a 5 speaker home theatre system made up of a 3 CP-CT380IDC for front sound stage and 2 CP-CT260's for the rears.

Very easy installation and what turned out to be fantastically lucky one as the front three speakers fitted exactly between the joists in the ceiling before i discovered that the rear of the room's joists was an inch / inch+half narrower... luckily the 260's were an inch narrower as well... rookie mistake to make so it very much pays to check every joist location!

The trigrip installation was a piece of cake to use (power drill, 3 screws job done)

Onto the Sound, Love it, fantastic treble and mid range, however a dedicated sub-woofer of some description really is required to complete the instllation. Reading other reviews and forums will let you know that going in.

I haven't yet tried adjusting any of the crossover frequencies or items on the speakers so if anyone has any advice or recommendations please shout.

Hope you find this useful.

Cheers,
RB
Very nice of you. Thanks for your feedback and thoughts.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis