Monitor audio 100 7g vs MA silver 200 6g

M

miklek65

Audioholic Intern
HI
I'am thinking about upgrading my Bronze 2-s to either one of the speakers in the title. The Ma 100 7g is a standmount obviously and reviews are quite good, but unfortunately i can only listen to them if i purchase (maybe i can demo before, but can't compare the 2 at the same time). So the new Siler 100 is a fresh technology, but the 200 is a full speaker with similar specs, but 4-5 years old, the 100 has a bit more bass still. my room is small and i quite like the bronze 2-s with the front port and i didn't like the bronze 100 6g over them(rear ported). anyone have some experience with these silvers? they are about the same price in the 2nd hand market.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
HI
I'am thinking about upgrading my Bronze 2-s to either one of the speakers in the title. The Ma 100 7g is a standmount obviously and reviews are quite good, but unfortunately i can only listen to them if i purchase (maybe i can demo before, but can't compare the 2 at the same time). So the new Siler 100 is a fresh technology, but the 200 is a full speaker with similar specs, but 4-5 years old, the 100 has a bit more bass still. my room is small and i quite like the bronze 2-s with the front port and i didn't like the bronze 100 6g over them(rear ported). anyone have some experience with these silvers? they are about the same price in the 2nd hand market.
What new technology?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
HI
I’d expect the tower speaker to be the winner here . The bookshelves are a slight upgrade yours review very well.

M

miklek65

Audioholic Intern
The latest what particularly? You saying MA has made some breakthrough/fresh technology you can't specify?
Wow you really got triggered there too.
I don't want to specify anything. i asked someone who might have some experience with 2 specific speakers? You know this is a forum where maybe someone have heard them and maybe they could share their thoughts. It works with cars, bycicles, computers, gardening and whatever i used forums for in the past, but maybe the audiophiles are use it for a different purpose?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't want to specify anything. i asked someone who might have some experience with 2 specific speakers? You know this is a forum where maybe someone have heard them and maybe they could share their thoughts. It works with cars, bycicles, computers, gardening and whatever i used forums for in the past, but maybe the audiophiles are use it for a different purpose?
Their thoughts are worthless. On this forum we don't give much credence to subjective impressions.

I would say that the state of the art is now in measurements, as far as selecting speakers. I would now never advise picking a speaker that does not have rigorous third party measurements published.

Passive speakers are essentially a fully developed technology now. If you want the latest advances, then it means looking at active speakers with DSP. That is where real gains are to be had.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You seem the one more triggered. As mentioned, random subjective impressions don't mean a whole lot. I was more curious what was fresh/new about an MA speaker's technology....

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
No, I haven't listened to the speakers mentioned.

I took the OP to mean that the newer one was an updated design compared to a previous model that had been around a few years. Typically, when speaker companies bring out new models, they usually at least claim some technological improvements. Whether it be new cone materials, driver design, cabinet type etc.

With regard to the OP, if I already have a great performing speaker that I like, something else better really grab my attention when I hear it if I intend to replace what I have already, regardless of where I get to audition it. Fortunately for me, I can tell a speaker that will work for "me" by listening to it near field, and individually. Second would be the published frequency response, and how the speaker works full range.

My question to the OP would be, what is it that you feel is missing from your old speakers? Do they distort more now, lack of bass, or any other part of the frequency spectrum? I don't easily take a manufacturers claim with regard to upgrades. I tend to hold them to their original boastful claims the last time they sold me on something new unless it actually sucks. Why? Because if the upgrades are audibly subtle (which most are), then the newer model's improvements will be lost on me 20 minutes in as I get used to them and the only real difference will be that my pockets are emptier than before.

IMO, there are just too many speakers to choose from these days that offer pretty much the same audible performance in a different package. As someone who has been used to large displacement speakers for the last 40+ years, I would find anything with less than an 8" woofer underwhelming, regardless of quality. Bookshelf designs to me are an immediate downgrade that need a lot more help after the fact, such as subwoofers.

When I get bored with audio, I don't try to improve so much via some relatively empty upgrades, but just put together different types of systems, or high performing portable types that knock my socks off in different ways. But, if I am honest with myself, my main system is the one that really can't be beat with regard to what I can actually hear anymore.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Often speaker companies advertise a new version of an older model as new technology. They imply but never say it's actually improved. When I've been interested enough to dig deeper, the real reason for a new model is that a woofer, tweeter, or mid-range driver they used is no longer available. The manufacturer is forced to switch to a different driver and adapt the old model as needed. The marketing people then go to work spreading the word that this was a highly awaited improvement. There are always exceptions to this, but more often than not, a new version it isn't significantly different than the old speaker model it replaced.

This is what fuels the used speaker and electronic gear markets. Nervous audio gear junkies believe the advertising, and rush to replace their stuff.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis