Molyneux Talks to The Times About Fable III

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Molyneux Talks to The Times About Fable III
By Mike Sharkey | Mar 22, 2010

Designer describes possibilities of Natal, potentially letting slip how motion controls will be used in-game.

In a recent interview with UK newspaper The Times, Fable III designer Peter Molyneux discussed visiting the set of Avatar, the rise of social gaming, and everything in between. He even managed to provide a few additional tidbits about the next installment in the Fable franchise.

The Times managed a few minutes with Molyneux after his speech at the Game Developers Conference and learned the award-winning creator believes the game industry is on the verge of a "true entertainment" evolution thanks to control advances like Microsoft's Natal. In describing how the motion controller will change gaming, Molyneux may have inadvertently provided insight into how Natal will be used in Fable III:

"Since E3 we have built more emotional engagement into the preview you saw. But the most important thing now is that we can meet our audience on a one-to-one basis. I can make a character that can meet you. That changes everything: narrative, drama, gameplay, pacing. You as a player for the first time are seen. The only way I see you at the moment is through your thumbs. Now I can see you, the emotions on your face, whether you're slouching, standing up, all of that. We can design experiences that truly resonate with you as an individual rather than with a mass of people."

It's difficult to discern when Molyneux stopped talking specifically about Fable III and started talking separately about game design using Natal in general. But it can be inferred Natal will be used for "emotional engagement" in the game.

When asked when we can expect to see Fable III on the shelves, Molyneux said that would ultimately be Microsoft's decision, adding, "Thanksgiving is the shut-off date." So it appears the game is still on track for the previously announced, slightly ambiguous "fourth quarter" release.

We expect to do away with the speculation and find out for sure how Natal will be used in Fable III, as well as the game's official release date, at E3 in June.

Source: GameSpy

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis