Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I am trying to work out a thought (and not sound totally ignorant). &nbsp;Can a mobile amps ( the ones for cars) be used in a home system? &nbsp;This is mostly based on cost.</font>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>Well if you had a power converter it would work. however, unless you had a very high quality amp, fideltity is going to be an issue.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>I've been intrigued by the idea of trying some Blaupunkt TriPath digital amps in my home rig. &nbsp;They're cheap and supposedly world-beaters, sound wise.</font>

annunaki

annunaki

<font color='#000000'>You could use them, however, by the time you purchase a nice well made ac to dc converter, of at least fifty amps, and a good battery for reserve power, you might as well have purchased a good used separate amplifier or a high powered receiver.
Also, Blaupunkt, in car audio circles, is not exactly known for making high powered well engineered amplifiers. If you really want to try this look at these &nbsp;well made, reliable amplifier brands: JL Audio, Xtant, Linear Power, Zapco, Precision Power, U.S. Amps, and Phoenix Gold to start.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>Blaupunkt isn't really &quot;designing&quot; that amp, in the conventional sense. &nbsp;They buy a ready-made Tripath chip, and that's the gain stage. &nbsp;Digital amps still need a decent P/S, but it appears it's let critical than for an analog amp.

I have it on good authority that the Blaupunkt digital car amp sounds wonderful. &nbsp;Even with buying a power converter, you still can't touch a digital standalone home amp for even a multiple of its price.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Just curious. What is a &quot;digital&quot; amp? Your not talking about one of those cheap 6 oz., 100wpc equalized jobs are you? &nbsp;I know that, no matter who makes em, those are garbage.Ive always heard that sound is analog &amp; must be amped in that form. Am I missing something new?</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>This site does have a thread or two about digital amps, but you might want to check AA for more in depth coverage.

A digital amp is essentially a DAC with enough voltage &amp; current to drive a speaker (this is a bit of an oversimplification).

There are some very highly regarded ultra-high end digital amps (eg. Spectron Musician II, TACT, Bel Canto, AVReality EAR, &amp; PSAudio).</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis