Mixing Subs??? - Looking for the best option.

W

WhiteCoatGeek

Enthusiast
Hello all, Looking for some advice. Appreciate if Gene can chime in.

I have 2 Rythmik FV15HP subs (15" ported) in front and I am looking to add 2 in rear. I feel that the FV15HPs are too big (wide) for the space I have in rear. Hence I am thinking of getting a different model for the rear. I know its not ideal but I am okay with best possible solution in the current situation. I have kinda shortlisted 2 subs and was wondering if you have any thoughts on the issue.

1- 12' ported front firing - Rythmik LVX12 or Monolith 12" THX Sub
- Is mixing different brands okay or should I stick within the same brand?

2- 15" Down-firing Power Sound Audio V1510DF.
- It's a 15" sub but relatively small in size and is comparable to 12" subs. I have never used a downfiring sub so not sure about it. Do they perform equally as compared to front firing and is it okay to use them with carpet (on concrete) floor?

Also, is mixing subs from different brands a major issue in real world? Room is dedicated HT and I have an AVR with Audyssey BTW.

Thanks

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Why do you think you need to add two more subs? I can't imagine many rooms requiring more than you have already.

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
Mixing brands should not be an issue if they are similar in capabilities. Mixing ported and sealed bresebts it iwn set of problems.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hard to imagine two more of the same are "too wide"....unless they physically won't fit. Or would it require you to move something else? I prefer same subs all around, or at least very similar. Might ask the folk at Rythmik what they think, too.

W

WhiteCoatGeek

Enthusiast
Hard to imagine two more of the same are "too wide"....unless they physically won't fit. Or would it require you to move something else? I prefer same subs all around, or at least very similar. Might ask the folk at Rythmik what they think, too.
Ya its the physical size issue. Space in rear of the room is limited due to the location of the door that opens into the HT.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
How big is your room? Volume??? (LxWxH)

Unless you are trying to shake the foundations of heaven itself... :p

Your best bet is matching make and model. After that, you need to look for similar metrics in terms of frequency, roll off, spl, etc. The better matched, the easier it is, but at that point you probably also need to employ REW and a MiniDSPHD2x4 to help bring them together in a functional way. There are cats here that have mixed different brands, sizes, etc... but they all say it is a royal pain to integrate them well. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis