Mixing good speakers w/Ht in box receiver...?

W

Wendelman

Audiophyte
Hello everyone, this is my first time on the forums. I was wondering if anyone could clear up my problem. I recently got a great deal on one of those HT in a box jobs off ebay. I got a 500W Sony A/V Receiver, a seperate 5 DVD changer and a few cheap speakers for $120. All I really wanted was the receiver and DVD changer to replace my aging but terrific Yamaha Natural Sound receiver rated at 70Wx5. I quickly hooked up the new receiver to my Advent Legacy floor speakers and my Sony surrounds, along with my subwoofer. All of my anticipation turned out to be a huge let down, this receiver hardly delivers any bass to my 10in woofers in the Advents or any mid to my surrounds! Even with the bass turned all the way up, the subwoofer really provides the only bass. So I guess I was wondering if these HT in a box receivers are mainly calibrated to drive the dinky speakers that come in the package, and not true home theater speakers? I am begining to think this great deal wasn't so great after all. Any ideas? Thanks!

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
What is the speaker size set to on the receiver. If its set to small you will not get the bass. Make sure you select large for the left and right. This might be the issue.

The other thing to keep in mind is the Sony receiver is only outputting 100x5. Which is only 30watts more than your Yamaha. You have to double the output to get three db more output which is not that noticeable. I would suggest selling the Sony and investing in better speakers. Yamaha makes very good receivers. The Advents are good speakers. Try mating these up with something inexpensive from the JBL Northridge series or look at some entry level Paradigm speakers from the Performance or Monitor Series.

Cheers,
Glenn

W

Wendelman

Audiophyte
Thanks for the advice

Hey thanks for the suggestions, I do have the speakers on large without much output. I am starting to think maybe this is why I got the system so cheap. I am now in the market for a new Yamaha receiver with DTS (my old one does'nt). I also have been looking for some new surrounds and center to replace the Sony's and I will check into those. Thanks

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Wendelman, I had the same problem with a Sony HIB receiver. I can't remember the exact model, but you could adjust the treble and bass independently +/- 6. Does the same hold true for yours? If so, we may have the same receiver, or one very similar. I too was not happy the the apparent lack of low end output. I bought a new receiver and found that it was in fact the sony receiver. My new receiver does +/- 10 for treble and bass and the output is significantly better...of course, I now have everything set a 0 to keep my speakers and their sound as neutral and true as possible.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Wendelman said:
Hello everyone, this is my first time on the forums. I was wondering if anyone could clear up my problem. I recently got a great deal on one of those HT in a box jobs off ebay. I got a 500W Sony A/V Receiver, a seperate 5 DVD changer and a few cheap speakers for $120. All I really wanted was the receiver and DVD changer to replace my aging but terrific Yamaha Natural Sound receiver rated at 70Wx5. I quickly hooked up the new receiver to my Advent Legacy floor speakers and my Sony surrounds, along with my subwoofer. All of my anticipation turned out to be a huge let down, this receiver hardly delivers any bass to my 10in woofers in the Advents or any mid to my surrounds! Even with the bass turned all the way up, the subwoofer really provides the only bass. So I guess I was wondering if these HT in a box receivers are mainly calibrated to drive the dinky speakers that come in the package, and not true home theater speakers? I am begining to think this great deal wasn't so great after all. Any ideas? Thanks!
You are absolutely correct. Sony couldn't put out a receiver to power your speakers at that price. Some of those Aiwa boom boxes are rated at 100 watts. They just bump up the distortion level to meet that criteria.

W

Wendelman

Audiophyte
Yep, sounds like the same model.

Yes the bass and the treble only go to +/- 6. Even with the bass at +6, my woofers hardly move. The model # is STR-K4800P from the HT-4800DP (retail $500) home theater system. I am convinced that the receiver is only intended to power the cheap speakers that come with it, little 6ohms surround speakers. I think i will put this thing back up on eBay and get a true home theather receiver. I guess the HTIB is too good to be true...

ps- What did you replace it with? I have had some good Sony receivers in the past, but I may look for a newer Yamaha, Onkyo or Harmon Kardon. Any suggestions? Thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis