mixed 6&8ohm speaker setup related

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
First time posting here.

Let me start off by saying that this is a great forum for A/V-holics. I have extensively used Audioholics’ forums to select my home theater system and it has been most helpful. I am glad to have this resource. Keep up the good work everyone.

I am looking to build my home theater system for 60% movie and 40% music use and here is the setup I have selected.

Yamaha HTR-5790
Axiom M60ti (8 ohm)
Axiom QS8 (6 ohm)
Axiom VP150 (6 ohm)
Axiom EP500

My question is regarding the impedance selection on the a/v receiver. It gives the option to choose 6 ohm, while the setting is 8 ohm by default. After much research I figured out that it is best to leave this setting at 8 ohm, even if 6 ohm speakers are connected, and ensure proper ventilation for the amp, to facilitate optimal sound quality.

Finally the question. Nowhere have I found what will happen if I put a 6&8 ohm mix of speakers like in the setup above. Will leaving it at 8 ohm damage the 6 ohm speakers? Will sound qualtiy be compromised at the speaker? Or will they just play comparitively louder, a problem easily fixed during calibration.

I will appreciate any correspondence on this issue.

mcwilson

mcwilson

Audioholic
It is common for the front speakers in a surround system to have lower impedence than the surround speakers. Sound quality shouldn't be impacted by impedence. The lower impedence speakers will simply draw more current from the receiver. That's all. I wouldn't think you'd need to worry about damage to the speakers.

The experts should begin waking up all over the country to deliver more detailed posts. But, my opinion is that you have nothing to fear for sound quality or damage...

Mark

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
I'm running Spendor S5e fronts with a C3 center: the fronts are both 8 ohm speakers and the center is a 6 ohm. I've had no problem with overheating or driving the respective channels (my reccy is a 3805, by the way).

Bryan...but I *would* like a 5 channel amp, thankyouverymuch...

B

bray

Audioholic Intern
It'll be fine.

agarwalro
Besides the reciever and the sub, (HSU VTF3) I have the same set-up, and I have zero problems with the impedance difference. I run a Denon 2805 with mine at very high volumes and I'm very pleased. I think you will be too. :)

F

Fb111794

Audioholic Intern
You should be fine and have no worries at those impedence levels. Your Yamy will have no problems driving those ohm loads.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Evarything will be fine. Leave receiver set @ 8ohm. I would playback a 2-channel source such as cd in 2-channel stereo, direct stereo, or straight. Leave the center & surrounds off. Other than that, you will be fine.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the input. Now that my reservations have been cleared, I can start putting the system together.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis