Mitsu DLP's... what's the diff?

M

mw86

Enthusiast
I'm loking at a Mitsubishi DLP (52") and I've noticed my local HT dealer is selling a WD-52725 whereas Best Buy sells a WD-52525. Can someone tell me what the differences are? Are they worth the extra $$ for the 725 (approx. $500)?

The mitsubishi website was suprisingly non-descript.

Also, how does the Mistu compare to the equivalent size Samsung & Toshiba (52HM84) DLP's?

Any info appreciated. Thanks.

U

Unregistered

the only difference between the 52525 and 52725 is the anti-glare screen which does make a big difference. For bright room, you are strongly recommend to go with the 52725.

U

Unregistered

Dlp

Just wondering if you purchased the DLP from Mitsu? I'm thinking about buying one as well. The new Sony looks good as well. BD

R

radaray58

Audioholic Intern
Looking at Mitsubishi as well

I recently viewed the WD 52525 at a local store, and was very impressed with the picture. Then I noticed the glare from the screen, which the Samsung does not have. The salesman then went on to tell me about the WD 52725 that has the anti-glare screen. I then viewed the two models side by side at Ultimate Electronics, and the 725 will work much better in my room, since I have some windows on the rear wall that could interfere during daytime viewing.

I think the picture is better than that of the Samsung or the LG models I've also been looking at. I am going to wait until I can get a look at the WD 52825 (Diamond level) before purchasing. Having the built in DVR would be great, and I'm sure the picture would be even better given Mitsubishi's past Diamond level models.

M

mocloud

Audiophyte
just bought the 52825

only had up and running for a day now with HD so only a few early comments. First the picture quality is outstanding. Anti glare screen works great since i have window on right side of room. The only bad thing I've found is that the PVR can only record certain inputs. It can not record content from componet inputs or HDMI input. Just from Ant1&2 and composite (ntsc) inputs. This is not good if really true :( It's what the manual says but havent talked the local store about it yet. Also the fan is a little more noisey than I'd prefer but I think I'll get used to it by turning up the volume a little! :D

soundjunkie

soundjunkie

Audioholic Intern
Mitsi DLP

I too have been looking for the DLP of choice. I too noticed the "halo" effect on a recent trip to a local Home Theater store. I'm not sure which models I was looking at specifically, but it sounds maybe one of the other models may handle that better. I've been leaning to the Samsung until recently, as I like the ability to have the HDTV tuner onboard, though I'm not certain if you still have to have anything extra for satelite or cable.

The other thing I heard from a co-worker was that when Mitsi came out, they were building great equipment. About a year ago he bought a rear projection big screen and has nothing but trouble out of it. The repair guys that have made many trips to his house, finally told him that they have more calls, problems, and repairs out of Mitsi TV's than any other. His recomendation was Sony, as they have the fewest calls on those.

Like everyone else, the feedback that is posted, the better! :D I would like to see if anyone else has had issues as my co-worker.

Thanks!

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
soundjunkie said:
The repair guys that have made many trips to his house, finally told him that they have more calls, problems, and repairs out of Mitsi TV's than any other. His recomendation was Sony, as they have the fewest calls on those.
Thanks!
I can't comment on Mitsubishi's customer service but it cannot be worse than Sony's if the set does ever need repair. Call the guys at OneCall and ask them who gives the worst service on the RPTV's.

As for a built-in DVR I'd save the money on the TV and buy an external unit. That's just what you need is for the DVR to break and have to send the TV into the shop for repairs. I recommend keeping the units seperate for greater flexibility. For those of you not familiar with RPTV's including DLP sets they tend to need more repairs than a typical direct view CRT.

soundjunkie

soundjunkie

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the feedback. I know too that if you ask enough people, you'll always find somebody who has had a bad experience with every brand, just like cars. :D

I'm still leaning toward the Samsung, as I've not found a compelling reason to go otherwise. The only real issue that still bothers me is the lip sync issue with high-def. From what I understand it has improved, and it too isn't specific to Samsung I believe. If anyone can convince me there is a better 50 - 56" DLP out there, then I would check it out.

MW, let us know what you do, and how it works out! :)

Duffinator

Duffinator

I also prefer the Samsung DLP's myself. The only other sets I've seen that are close are the new JVC D-ILA sets. Have you looked at them? The good is they have a 3-chip set so there is no color wheel. The bad is there have been many complaints about fan noise for the bulb. The picture is as good or better than the Samsung IMO. The Sony Grand Vega's aren't bad either. I messed with a 70" next to a 61" Samsung for two hours one day and could never get it to look as good as the Samsung though.

Let us know what you buy and how you like it. Good luck.

soundjunkie

soundjunkie

Audioholic Intern
I know what you mean

Duff,
I've recently checked them out to some degree. No real side by side comparisons though. I hear the JVC is getting good reviews, and like you said, no color wheel to create the rainbow effect. I guess I'm still a little nervous about the LCos technology, as it seems to be catching on, but DLP seems to be the big dawg on the block. I heard Intel had backed out of the chip productions too, which lends me to think the LCos technology may be going by the wayside. I want to check out the Mitsi in another store just to make sure the one I viewed them at may have other troubles affecting the picture. I too have been reading about Toshiba, Panasonic, and Sony and the offerings they have. Still haven't found a compelling reason to depart from the Samsung though.

Keep the feedback coming! This is the great thing about the site!

Duffinator

Duffinator

I've seen the Mitsubishi and it looks good too but I haven't seen it next to the Samsung. The LCoS technology is very promising but there have been LOTS of production problems with the chips from all the chip manufacturers. Mitsubishi has the 81" (I think that's the size) LCoS three chip 1080P set and it looks great. But like you I'm not sure I'd be jumping on that bandwagon just yet.

The good news is within the next year there will be 3-chip DLP sets that have a native resolution of 1080P. They'll be very expensive at first but they are coming.

I'm personally salivating for 1080P to match the HD and BD-DVD's that will be here by next Christmas. I've seen the new Samsung 46" LCD with a native resolution of 1080P but no 1080P source material. The first set I was was next to the new Samsung 50" DLP on the pedestal. They both looked great. Then at another store I saw the 46" with a SD satellite feed and it looked horrible. The salesman stated he thought the scaler in it was junk. I've heard the new 45" Sharp with native 1080P has hit the streets but I haven't seen it yet either. I'll see if I can track it down this weekend.

I personally can't detect the rainbow effect from a DLP. But I haven't had one in my home to spend a lot of time with. The 3-chip sets will be the way of the future it's just the future is not quite here yet.

Votrax

Votrax

Audioholic
soundjunkie said:
I too have been looking for the DLP of choice. I too noticed the "halo" effect on a recent trip to a local Home Theater store. I'm not sure which models I was looking at specifically, but it sounds maybe one of the other models may handle that better. I've been leaning to the Samsung until recently, as I like the ability to have the HDTV tuner onboard, though I'm not certain if you still have to have anything extra for satelite or cable.

The other thing I heard from a co-worker was that when Mitsi came out, they were building great equipment. About a year ago he bought a rear projection big screen and has nothing but trouble out of it. The repair guys that have made many trips to his house, finally told him that they have more calls, problems, and repairs out of Mitsi TV's than any other. His recomendation was Sony, as they have the fewest calls on those.

Like everyone else, the feedback that is posted, the better! :D I would like to see if anyone else has had issues as my co-worker.

Thanks!
I've had my Mitsubishi HDTV (WS-65511) for a year and haven't had any issues. Sony, Hitachi, and Mitsubishi are neck and neck for reliability. RCA has the worst repair history of any tube or RPTV, but I've had an RCA 26" tube for 14 years and the picture looks as good as it was new.

Duffinator said:
As for a built-in DVR I'd save the money on the TV and buy an external unit. That's just what you need is for the DVR to break and have to send the TV into the shop for repairs.
I'm excited about the prospect of just being able to use a CableCARD and have the TV handle the DVR (with the free TV Guide Program Guide) BUT... since the CableCARD is only one-way, you lose all VOD services...

I honestly don't use VOD (video-on-demand) much, but it's still it's a consideration. At CEDIA CableCARD looked TONS better than cable from a set top box in a side-by-side comparison.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I couldn't see the Rainbow or Halo effect on a DLP tv until I got it in a dark room. It was particularly easy to see when the screen is black with white text.

I personally like the JVC HD-ILA sets. The quality of picture while displaying an analog signal is the best I have seen. The picture is very bright and colors are rich and vibrant. I think fan noise is a problem with all of these sets (DLP,LCD, and HD-ILA). It is only noticable if the room is quiet.

S

sleevez

Audiophyte
!where to buy Mitsubishi WD-52725 52" HDTV

hey would you guys know if any of the canadian deals carry such model Mitsubishi WD-52725 52" HDTV ??

thanks !

if you guys know please email me @ sleevez@gmail.com

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis