missing frequencies all this time

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I previously had a JBL HTIB system and a Yammy receiver.

as per the manual, I was supposed to set the satellites to "small" and connect the subwoofer to the LFE output.

but as I was looking at the specs today ... the JBL satellites were -6db to 100hz. so in real life flat maybe to 120hz. But see, the problem is, during that time the receivers had a fixed crossover point of 90hz.

so I was actually missing all the information between 90hz to 100hz (or 120hz)!! [yes, I know its not a brickwall, but still!]

sure at the time I felt something was missing, but I didn't expect it to be missing information right smack at the middle!

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
mike c said:
I previously had a JBL HTIB system and a Yammy receiver.

as per the manual, I was supposed to set the satellites to "small" and connect the subwoofer to the LFE output.

but as I was looking at the specs today ... the JBL satellites were -6db to 100hz. so in real life flat maybe to 120hz. But see, the problem is, during that time the receivers had a fixed crossover point of 90hz.

so I was actually missing all the information between 90hz to 100hz (or 120hz)!! [yes, I know its not a brickwall, but still!]

sure at the time I felt something was missing, but I didn't expect it to be missing information right smack at the middle!
Depending on the size of the driver and design of the satellite, and how well the sub reproduces frequencies up to 90Hz, it may not have been as big an issue as you might think. Those satellites would have never put out lower Hz than 120Hz at -3dB (theroretically speaking) had you been running them in a 2.0 setup. Satellite speakers are meant for "fill", and not for reproducing thick, heavy bass. Most explosions in movies will reach the satellites, but the "boom" effect will be sent to the subwoofer. Hopefully your center and L/R speakers are picking up the 70Hz - 120Hz frequencies.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, you weren't MISSING anything, though you likely created a big DIP around 100Hz.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I emailed JBL, they said the internal crossover of the sub was 150hz ...

wouldnt it be better if the fronts were set to large ... speaker level connections used? receiver to sub ... sub to satellites?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
mike c said:
I emailed JBL, they said the internal crossover of the sub was 150hz ...

wouldnt it be better if the fronts were set to large ... speaker level connections used? receiver to sub ... sub to satellites?
Mike,

You have 2 subs, each of which is better then mine, and you're boo hooing about a JBL sub? RAR!

/drunk
SheepStar

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
just trying to correct a "wrong" in the world :)

satellites suck. my jbl sub sucks too because it doesnt have variable crossover.

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
mike c said:
...I was actually missing all the information between 90hz to 100hz...
If you can (can't actually :rolleyes: ) hear missing information over a range of 10Hz you're a better man than I. :) 10Hz?! Geez. ;)

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
You do realize those satellites have 3" drivers, right? ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis