Mismatched Ohm Speaker Question?

lancer360

lancer360

Junior Audioholic
Ordered new Arendal speakers. The center channel is on back order, but I received the rest. Arendal speakers are 4ohm. My old center is 8 ohm. Any risk to my amp or receiver running them mismatched until the new center comes in?

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not particularly. As long as your amp can handle lower impedance, you should be fine. There's no particular reason to match nominal impedance ratings among your speakers, tho (keep in mind a speaker varies impedance above and below a nominal rating with frequency, its an average of sorts).

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Ordered new Arendal speakers. The center channel is on back order, but I received the rest. Arendal speakers are 4ohm. My old center is 8 ohm. Any risk to my amp or receiver running them mismatched until the new center comes in?

None. But I bet your center is actually four ohm anyway. It is pretty tough to make a center that is not four ohm. You always take that impedance specification with a grain of salt, in fact a whole shaker full of salt. Manufacturers do it to avoid loosing sales, and allow customer to claim warranty if it blows the customers receiver up.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
The lower impedance speaker probably will play louder so you need to run your level adjustment routine after you hook it up. If your amplifier is happy with it then all is well.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

No which center is it , you can always see if it sounds well with your fronts.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis