R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
OT...Buck, we're gonna do a A/B Cadence/H100 at my house this weekend. We'll at least settle that question :D

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Ron Temple said:
OT...Buck, we're gonna do a A/B Cadence/H100 at my house this weekend. We'll at least settle that question :D
Very cool. Any chance of some internal pics of the H100?

jbo247

jbo247

Audioholic Intern
here is a link for specks and review of the s12
http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/mirage_omni_s12.htm

i just bought an all psb setup ( t55 towers c40 center and s50 surrounds)
i'm looking in the 4-500 dollar range for a sub thats why i was checking this s12 out heard good things.i'm waiting on the pioneer 1016 reciever to come out before i upgrade there. i actually talked to svs but they recommended there 2,000 dollar sub but that will have to wait till next year.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Very cool. Any chance of some internal pics of the H100?
Doubt we'll have time, we are doing 4 subs and 3 sets of bookshelf speakers. Didn't Brian open one up? Where is Brian anyway?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Ron Temple said:
Doubt we'll have time, we are doing 4 subs and 3 sets of bookshelf speakers. Didn't Brian open one up? Where is Brian anyway?
What subs and bookshelves? Sounds like a good time - keep us updated.

I do remember Brian opening one up now. The amp and magnet were much smaller than I would have guessed. Brian had mixed feelings on the H100. I've always assumed it was a step up from the Cadence - it was $60 more than the XSUB at the time I purchased my sub. Price isn't everything, as we've all found out.

Brian's been busy with his new toy - a high end SLR. He's send me some pics to check out. I'm going there now.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Brian sent me a PM stating he was going off to the photography forums and phfft.

Anyway, the Cadence driver isn't exactly it's strength, but we'll find out.

A pair of older Infinitys, NHT 1As and the SBS 01s, along with the XSUB, H100, SVS 20-39+ & DD15... the EP500, DIY Tempest 15 and PB10 all had legitimate excuses and couldn't attend.

There will not be a straight up Velo/SVS comparison, just subjective opinions. My thinking is that they are not comparable without a BFD or SMS. Both are great subs though.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Ron Temple said:
Brian sent me a PM stating he was going off to the photography forums and phfft.

Anyway, the Cadence driver isn't exactly it's strength, but we'll find out.

A pair of older Infinitys, NHT 1As and the SBS 01s, along with the XSUB, H100, SVS 20-39+ & DD15... the EP500, DIY Tempest 15 and PB10 all had legitimate excuses and couldn't attend.

There will not be a straight up Velo/SVS comparison, just subjective opinions. My thinking is that they are not comparable without a BFD or SMS. Both are great subs though.
Putting in a BFD or SMS is cheating. Don't give any subs EQing accept for the one that comes with it. Thats the only way this can be reliable.

SheepStar

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Sheep said:
Putting in a BFD or SMS is cheating. Don't give any subs EQing accept for the one that comes with it. Thats the only way this can be reliable.

SheepStar
Dude that is all wrong. Depending on the sub position (since they can't be in the same place) one might need a little more help to achieve a true response. Many factors effect this, woofer position, port position, etc. The only way to accurately A/B them is to listen to them in an anechoic environment, since that is not available, this is the next best thing.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
MacManNM said:
Dude that is all wrong. Depending on the sub position (since they can't be in the same place) one might need a little more help to achieve a true response. Many factors effect this, woofer position, port position, etc. The only way to accurately A/B them is to listen to them in an anechoic environment, since that is not available, this is the next best thing.
Or you can put them in balanced locations, IE: equal spots from every wall just on opposite sides of the room.

Or move the subs..

SheepStar

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Sheep said:
Or you can put them in balanced locations, IE: equal spots from every wall just on opposite sides of the room.

Or move the subs..

SheepStar

That doesn't work. Ports fire in different directions, as do woofers, rooms aren't square, there are interactions with sofas, chairs and everything else. If you study radiation patterns you will see that the slightest difference in position can make a drastic change in the pattern. Different things happen.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Sheep said:

SheepStar
We don't have any EQ, so not to worry. Hopefully, someone will bring a player that can handle ripped tones (mine can't) and that's the only objective test we are going to do.

The rest will be subjective impressions. We will compare the budget subs closely

edit...people started arriving as I was posting this...now it's over and I'm subbed out. I'll start another thread.

Z

ZoFo

Audioholic
I had the Mirage Sub

And I now have the Hsu VTF-3 MKII, the Mirage was not a bad sub by any means but it certianly was not a Hsu VTF-3!

I still have a little Mirage 8" sub that works very nicely in my bedroom.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Ron Temple said:
I still come here almost every day, I just do it to check who is on-line.
To many PITA people, and it is not worth me getting aggravated over.
I don't really read threads much anymore, this was suggested to me by Matt.

Yeah, I had sent Buck (Todd) the pics months ago. I still have them if you need them.
My main mixed feelings on the sub, were just the opposite of yours Ron.
I thought it not as musical as a sub as some people claim. I felt it had great extension, problem is that it is slightly under-powered.
I would think the Cadence amp used on the H100, and the H100 would blow away the Cadence.
As it stands, by your get-together, the H100 eeks out a little bit of performance over the X-Sub.
Personally, if I was in a budget sub buying mode, I would choose the H100.
Yeah, it's a few bucks more, but is an awesome looking sub with that Piano Black.

Granted, both are what they are - Budget Subs.
That in no way is putting them down, for the average joe (no offense Joe)
They both should be perfectly fine.

If you recall, I was about to buy a X-Sub as well. I was kinda worried on the QC of Cadence, so I decided against it.

I am still perfectly happy with my 2 VTF-3 MK2's.
Just waiting for the Turbo upgrade (which I really do not need)

EDIT:: All the pics were re-sent to Buck, also sent all the pics to Ron as well.
I forgot to mention here, the H100 is built like a brick. (similar build to HSU subs)

Last edited:
R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
I should have taken pictures, but here is where the subs were stacked...

DD15 was on the bottom, then H100, then XSub...looked pretty cool. All the subs sounded very musical that day. The H100 edged the XSub, but there was no comparison to either big subs or could there be to B's Hsu's

Both are great starters reaching a quality benchmark at their price point. They compete very well with $400 retail subs, just not $400 internet subs:cool: .

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
brian32672 said:
Uhm, I am pretty sure Mr & Mrs Smith was made after 2000.
See pic below.
I guess your camera is set to 'Blast in the past mode'.:p
Just messing with you Ron.
Did you get the pics I sent?
wow, someone was really looking into detail with that picture

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
brian32672 said:
Uhm, I am pretty sure Mr & Mrs Smith was made after 2000.
See pic below.
I guess your camera is set to 'Blast in the past mode'.:p
Just messing with you Ron.
Did you get the pics I sent?
Hey it works...all these pictures have to T/D stamp from my quantum camera.

C

cyberbri

Banned
It's me - another Brian with an H100, and the one that was at Ron's get-together.

I don't visit the forums here that much,
I found this thread linked from thread on the Mirage S12 vs PB10.

I just wanted to chime in and mention that I took some pictures of the internals of the H100 and have them up HERE.

I also have a thread about my impressions of it HERE

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis