MiniDSP in a Box Balanced 2x4

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
When it comes to audio, everyone wants to "get it right". In attempting do do so, many will adhere to what THX or CEDIA tells them, whereas others will go by personal experience and their ear. Whatever it is, many of us, at the very least, often find ourselves restricted by our processor or receiver manufacturer's rendition of "right" - and most of the time we don't quite know what "right" is by that manufacturer's definition. With little transparency, we're either left to be guessing and hoping, or to make an effort to obtain measurements of our own equipment, even if it may not be a satisfying end-result.

MiniDSP represents freedom from the shackles - an extremely versatile and customizable device capable of breaking away from the natural limitations of the analogue and the fixed nature of our digital electronics. MiniDSP as a brand is an offshoot of DSP4you, and an examination of their website would reveal that their primary intended end-user would be the DIYer with a Soldering Iron and a screw driver. Most of their products are sold in the form of circuit boards - to be assembled as desired in whatever scenario appears useful.

They do sell two products however which can be purchased by the "rest of us" without the manual assembly and searching ebay for server chassis. This would be the MiniDSP 2x4 and Balanced 2x4. The 2x4 is a device with four RCA connectors and a USB connection, and is available in a more sensitive .9 v version (which may clip from many receiver outputs and is more intended for PC outputs) and a 2.0v version (perhaps less sensitive but with more dynamic headroom).

The slightly more expensive 2x4 Balanced is an extension of that with provisions for a balanced signal as used by pro audio equipment and is the particular product I'm reviewing here. It has a bit more rugged and professional looking case than the ipod shuffle looking unbalanced version pictured above. It is only available in a 2.0v version and is not something you would use with a cheap receiver or PC sound card. Ideally you're using it with a balanced processor and balanced amplifier.

Setup

MiniDSP is a Hong Kong based company, which to myself at least implies long processing times and even longer transit times. Right? I ordered this and received it all the way in Canada in less than a week in a bubble wrap packaged, DSP4You labeled box.

Upon opening it the first thing I noticed was how weighty the aluminum enclosure felt. It must be a solid 7.5mm of aluminum everywhere. Useful? I don't know. Feel-good? Definitely :D

Opening it up we see that the board inside the tiny chassis is even tinier than expected. That chassis is probably designed to accomodate a future product, perhaps a MiniDSP + MiniAMP combo for bi-amping computer speakers? Either way it just feels well built.

The 2x4 Balanced uses what MiniDSP refers to as "terminal block connector". Normally a Balanced connection is seen in the form of XLR and TRS connectors and likewise an unbalanced connection can be RCA or TRS unabalnced as well. These are all forms of connecting copper wire together. MiniDSP takes a barebones approach to the 2x4 Balanced instead of fitting it with the shiniest gold plated connector...it's got some little plastic green things that accept bare wire and plug in. If you want the esoteric gold plated connector, I welcome you to build your own.

With that said however, since "bare wire" is not a common connector, you will have to do a bit of wire cutting and stripping. I had an RCA cable go from my receiver to the input of the miniDSP. Since it is an unbalanced connection, the manual states to connect the shield to the negative terminal and also add a jumper from that to the shield terminal. the positive remains the same. The other end was the XLR cable to a professional amplifier. This balanced cable already has a negitive, positive, and shield.

The bare wire will clamp in nicely but i recommend making sure you've got no stray wire leading to a short. I also taped up the rest with electrical tape. This will plug right in, although it takes a bit of effort to pull out it's not a bad connector. I would still have prefered a nice XLR connection.

For power, you will need to supply 12V 150+mA DC from somewhere. I went to The Source and picked up a cheap AC/DC adaptor. Make sure to get the voltage right. The current rating on the adaptor can be higher as the miniDSP simply won't draw it, but not lower than 150mA. I believe the unbalanced version of the 2x4 does not require DC power as it will run off a minUSB charger such as the type used in Phones and PS3 controllers. The DC connection is also a green terminal block bare wire connection. I highly recommend a multimeter to determine the polarity of each wire on the AC/DC adaptor.

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Software Discussion

The software is what makes this product useful. Without software it would have no value. Luckily the guys at DSP4you are both very responsive and very interested in putting out software that is not only versatile, but they will also listen to feedback and add functionality.

Software is available in the form of MiniDSP plugins, each costing $10 and with free updates. A miniDSP can only have a single plugin at a time, but these individual plugins can do a lot at the same time. The plugin I purchased was the Stereo 2 Way Advanced. This will take two inputs and have two respective outputs for each. The reason I chose the advanced plugin was for BiQuad filters. These are mathematical filters which allow a lot more functionality than the basic "butter worth, bessel, linkwitz-riley" options which the miniDSP offers. The advanced plugin still allows access to those simple filters but gives you a world more of "things you can do". I'm talking cascading to a point of a 96db/octave filter, or very intricate parametric notching, or working below the miniDSP's "technical" passband. Whereas the basic filters will limit you to 20hz, you can go as low as you want with biquad filters - so if you just built a DIY ported sub and want a 13hz high pass filter, this will do it for you!

My first order of action was to implement a slight linkwitz transform to boost lower frequencies on a sealed subwoofer, as well as a high pass filter to limit excursion at high power levels which my pro amp is capable of. In order to do this you must model the transfer function of the filter and convert that to biquad formula values. Google "BIQuad MiniDSP" for information on how to do this in a demo version of LSPCad if you're interested.

A few possible uses of the Stereo 2-way crossover include

-Crossing a pair of amplified speakers to a single sub at your desired frequency and slope
-Crossing a pair of amplified speakers to a pair of subs in the same manner
-Making a 2-way active loudspeaker
-Inputting a mono subwoofer signal into both inputs and outputting four separate, EQed, phase aligned subwoofer signals for integrating multiple subs
-Inputting a stereo sub signal and doing likewise with two subs per input.
-simple parametric EQ

Other available plugins include a 4-way advanced crossover (which will require two MiniDSP units for a pair of speakers), Graphic EQ, non-advanced plugins, and a mixer.

One last usage worth noting for the miniDSP is excellent compatibility with the Room Equalization Wizard program. Think of this combination as being a sort of Auto-EQ. By doing major equalization on this unit, you can leave other equalization to your receiver's EQ. This can be done simply by importing an REW measurement file. Doing this will require a measurement mic, mic stand, and USB mic preamp.

Currently, the miniDSP software's not compltely flawless, as with most software you're of course going to run into a glitch here and there. I had a sync error on my first attempt at syncing the DSP to the computer... basically it took like 20 minutes to sync and nothing was happening. If you come across this issue, simply Alt+F4 out of the program. Yes, it's scary because the program tells you NOT TO DO ANYTHING. When I reopened the program nothing went wrong and it synced in about 5 seconds and everything worked fine.

I also made a mistake to sync with a few default settings in place. What I ended up with was the miniDSP treating my subwoofer as a tweeter high passed at 1khz. Needless to say, i spent the next hour trying to figure out what was wrong and why I was getting no sound! Can you imagine a subwoofer designed to filter out frequencies below 1000hz? Before syncing, check every stage of the theoretical crossover, even if it's not a stage you're using right now.

Listening Tests

A) It sounds a bit like a banana cake. Very soft with a thick texture and a certain familiar grain being used. THe low end shines with a hint of vanilla and the highes sparkle like a good glass of bubbly. The midrange came across as flat however, somewhat breezy though I might add.

B)I ain't listenin to no DSP dude. All you need to know is:

28/56bit DSP Engine
24 bit ADC/DAC resolution
48kHz sampling rate

Conclusion.

If you're a DIYer with an interest in building your own speaker, forget about going passive. Active will give you the kind of options, flexibility, and yes, simplicity, that passive just can't. With the miniDSP, it's not only affordable to at least bi-amp, but also accessible. A pair of miniDSPs will let you design your own 4-way loudspeaker pair. If you've got a computer setup, this can make hooking up an external subwoofer to a pair of active monitors a lot simpler than having a giant receiver on the desk. If you just need a parametric equalizer, this is that too. It's many things, and that's exactly what makes it a worthwhile purchase for many people. I definitely recommend buying one if you've got electronic limitations. The setup might not be plug and play, but once you've got it up and running, it'll have been a worthwhile venture. Did I mention it's tiny?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Excellent review GranteedEV....

Thanks for taking the time... - I think in the future the product will just become more and more powerful as time goes on....

jinjuku

jinjuku

May try one out and see if it can replace my DCX. My only issue with the DCX is the 20Hz wall. There are work arounds, but they are 'work arounds'.

What did this unit cost shipped? I know it would be $$ Canadian but the math is simple.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
it cost something like 190 after ahipping. i did have to add a 12v dc power supply for $22 and in retrospect i may have used something better than a radioshack SMPS

jinjuku

jinjuku

it cost something like 190 after ahipping. i did have to add a 12v dc power supply for $22 and in retrospect i may have used something better than a radioshack SMPS
Just go to amazon and search for 12vdc regulated power supply ~$50.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Just go to amazon and search for 12vdc regulated power supply ~$50.
:eek:

I don't think I need 10A for this thing.. it said 150mA was plenty and I got 300mA.

I'm just paranoid because this was a bit of an impulse decision and i may be getting some unwanted noise from the cheapo P.S. since I didn't do any research.

jinjuku

jinjuku

:eek:

I don't think I need 10A for this thing.. it said 150mA was plenty and I got 300mA.

I'm just paranoid because this was a bit of an impulse decision and i may be getting some unwanted noise from the cheapo P.S. since I didn't do any research.
Run it off a 12v battery?

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
Good review. Makes me wonder why not more speaker companies use these type of DSP crossovers. I would be curious how does this Mini DSP compare to Behringer dcx2496.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I had missed this and am glad to see it so well reviewed. I hope to give the hifimediy stuff a try along with this. I plan to buy one of these and do passive crossovers on the tweeter-midrange since components are so cheap up that high. Still this is the front runner for my 3-way build now.

W

waajuan

Audiophyte
hi! i actually signed up to this forum just to reply to this post...
im 18, the balanced mini dsp is my first digital crossover... and it doesnt work. well it actually does work, because after connecting all these cables and getting depressing results i took it to a guy who did exactly the same and it worked on his sound system... so wtf is up? any ideas? ill add that im not doing the typical: connector>bare wire>xlr connector> amp.
im doing: connector>bare wire> xlr faceplate> xlr male> xlr female> amps.

also someone told me there were connectors that you can put onto bare wires and connect them to xlr faceplates in order to avoid messy soldering.. please could you shed a light on any suspicion! thankyou!! :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis