MiniDSP 2x4 HD + Receiver Independent Sub Out

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
Hi guys !

My question is:

I use denon 4500h + mnidsp 2x4hd, he have 2 subs Independent outputs, for use 3 subwoofer whats the best way and why ?

A = Out 1 receiver = Sub 01 = Minidsp In 1, on out 1
B = Out 2 receiver = Sub 02+03 = Minidsp in 2, on out 3 + Sub 03 on out 4

02.png

OR

A = Out 1 receiver = All subs = Minidsp In 1, Sub 1 on out 1 + Sub 02 on out 02 + Sub 03 on out 03 ?

01.png

Using all subs in only 1 out of receiver dont overload the output ?

03.png

Thanks !

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think the easiest complex answer lies in where in your room the subs are going. If two end up being equidistant from your LP, and one not, I would pair those up from one AVR output through the 2x4.
That’s assuming you may be using audyssey in some way.
If not using Audyssey, it likely doesn’t matter.
(At least as I understand the 2x4, that is. Corrections always welcome!)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd just use one sub pre-out and let the minidsp manage each sub.

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
I think the easiest complex answer lies in where in your room the subs are going. If two end up being equidistant from your LP, and one not, I would pair those up from one AVR output through the 2x4.
That’s assuming you may be using audyssey in some way.
If not using Audyssey, it likely doesn’t matter.
(At least as I understand the 2x4, that is. Corrections always welcome!)
The Sub 01 and 02 = equidistant
Sub 3 = Other distance
All subs same model.
And yes, i'm using Audyssey before the minidsp.

I'd just use one sub pre-out and let the minidsp manage each sub.
But his dont overload the output on receiver ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Sub 01 and 02 = equidistant
Sub 3 = Other distance
All subs same model.
And yes, i'm using Audyssey before the minidsp.

But his dont overload the output on receiver ?
Why would it "overload" the pre-out?

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
Why would it "overload" the pre-out?
I'm not a technician, but I think that if there are only 2 subwoofer outputs, they are only for 2 subwoofer.
Wouldn't connecting 4 subwoofers to a single output cause an overload on the receiver's output or something related?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
AVR Sub Out is a low voltage signal. You can split one to two or even three subs if you wanted with no problem.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not a technician, but I think that if there are only 2 subwoofer outputs, they are only for 2 subwoofer.
Wouldn't connecting 4 subwoofers to a single output cause an overload on the receiver's output or something related?
While your avr does have the ability to set delay/level for two subs, many subs that have two sub pre-outs simply use an internal splitter and for many years when we only had one sub pre-out we used splitters to add subs....I've used four subs on one pre-out without issue.

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
AVR Sub Out is a low voltage signal. You can split one to two or even three subs if you wanted with no problem.
While your avr does have the ability to set delay/level for two subs, many subs that have two sub pre-outs simply use an internal splitter and for many years when we only had one sub pre-out we used splitters to add subs....I've used four subs on one pre-out without issue.
Thanks !

T

Tg601

Audiophyte
I have a Marantz 8805 with two sub outs with independent delay and level. I’ve been having issues with getting sound from my second sub when trying to use one RCA cable from my sub out to input 1. I just read tonight on minidsp.com that if I have a processor with two independent sub outs to use two RCA cables. I haven’t tried this yet because I’m not at home. Hope this helps. Here is the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wellz

Wellz

Audioholic Intern
Hopefully you've already figured out that option B (AVR sub out 1 ----> MiniDSP Input 1--->Route all subs to input 1).
It took me some time to understand the goal of multiple subwoofers. At first I thought more subwoofers equal more bass. And I also did not understand that no matter how many subwoofers you have, the goal is also to set them up in a way that the AVR "sees" them as ONE BIG SUB. As I've learned more and dove deeper into this hobby, I've come to learn that the true benefit of multiple subwoofers is to even out the frequency range of the bass and also increase the headroom. This means that if you have only 1 sub, then based on its placement and the location of the listening position, unless you are extremely lucky, there is a good chance that there will be nulls in your frequency response as well as some peaks. These issues aren't always detectible with just the ear (listening), but they can be easily detected via measurement equipment such as a MiniDSP Umik-1 microphone and REW. This measurement process has a learning curve, but if you are willing to learn, it can be very rewarding as you learn what is going on in your room and where the problem areas are. Once you know where the issues are, you can move the sub around and or adjust the listening position until you find best spot for both. IF there is still an issue, you can either live with it, or look to add subs in order to fill in the gaps. Again, this will introduce another learning curve worth exploring, because there are programs such as MSO (multi Subwoofer Optimizer) for which there is a beginner thread here at Audioholics, which can really help fill in those gaps via software and your MiniDSP 2x4HD. If you have more than one listening position, the need for multiple subs is increased. The more subs you have to fill in the gaps, the more seat to seat consistency you will have. This of-course requires that you learn how to combine all of the subs so they end up sounding like ONE BIG SUB that happily fills the room evenly in the listening areas. If you want to learn more about how to do this via MSO, here is a link to the thread. MSO for Beginners Thread on Audioholics
Good luck and happy listening.

Wellz

D

duder1982

Enthusiast
I just purchased a Marantz AV7704 that claims to have 2 independent subs. If I am only running 2 subs, do I need a minidsp? Also, my Crown XLS2505 has
  • Selectable input sensitivity; 1.4Vrms and .775Vrms options so that amp can be driven at full power
Whats the benifit of running one or the other if the balanced PRE puts out 2Vrms?

Thanks

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If I am only running 2 subs, do I need a minidsp?
No, you do not need to involve the MiniDSP...
Unless you are trying to do very finite adjustments that Audyssey cannot handle on its own. (Friendly reminder... you can cut peaks at will, but you can't boost your way out of a null... Only proper positioning and measuring will allow for the smoothest response. ;) )

D

duder1982

Enthusiast
No, you do not need to involve the MiniDSP...
Unless you are trying to do very finite adjustments that Audyssey cannot handle on its own. (Friendly reminder... you can cut peaks at will, but you can't boost your way out of a null... Only proper positioning and measuring will allow for the smoothest response. ;) )
Thanks,

Since you mentioned the word null, what is technically considered a null E.G. 10 db down? With just the first sub, I've got a smooth response, when I add the second, I get a drop of 10 db down around 45 hz. I'm going to try to repositioning the sub, but curious why it appears when adding the second.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As to the sensitivity, leave it at 1.4V, you have sufficient pre-out for full use of the amp. The .775V setting could conceivably bring a bit more noise, too.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hopefully you've already figured out that option B (AVR sub out 1 ----> MiniDSP Input 1--->Route all subs to input 1).
It took me some time to understand the goal of multiple subwoofers. At first I thought more subwoofers equal more bass. And I also did not understand that no matter how many subwoofers you have, the goal is also to set them up in a way that the AVR "sees" them as ONE BIG SUB. As I've learned more and dove deeper into this hobby, I've come to learn that the true benefit of multiple subwoofers is to even out the frequency range of the bass and also increase the headroom. This means that if you have only 1 sub, then based on its placement and the location of the listening position, unless you are extremely lucky, there is a good chance that there will be nulls in your frequency response as well as some peaks. These issues aren't always detectible with just the ear (listening), but they can be easily detected via measurement equipment such as a MiniDSP Umik-1 microphone and REW. This measurement process has a learning curve, but if you are willing to learn, it can be very rewarding as you learn what is going on in your room and where the problem areas are. Once you know where the issues are, you can move the sub around and or adjust the listening position until you find best spot for both. IF there is still an issue, you can either live with it, or look to add subs in order to fill in the gaps. Again, this will introduce another learning curve worth exploring, because there are programs such as MSO (multi Subwoofer Optimizer) for which there is a beginner thread here at Audioholics, which can really help fill in those gaps via software and your MiniDSP 2x4HD. If you have more than one listening position, the need for multiple subs is increased. The more subs you have to fill in the gaps, the more seat to seat consistency you will have. This of-course requires that you learn how to combine all of the subs so they end up sounding like ONE BIG SUB that happily fills the room evenly in the listening areas. If you want to learn more about how to do this via MSO, here is a link to the thread. MSO for Beginners Thread on Audioholics
Good luck and happy listening.

Wellz
As far as Im concerned, its a far easier route to integrate multiple subs using option B as you stated. Option A would be extremely difficult to do. I use option B for my great room and basement setups.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks,

Since you mentioned the word null, what is technically considered a null E.G. 10 db down? With just the first sub, I've got a smooth response, when I add the second, I get a drop of 10 db down around 45 hz. I'm going to try to repositioning the sub, but curious why it appears when adding the second.
Room modes. Bass is all about room geometry with respect to the MLP.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis