Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>Writers~

I would like to see an unbiased review between the Yamaha RX-V2300, Marantz SR-7300se, and Denon AVR3803.

or

Yamaha DVD-S2300, Maranz DV8400, and Denon DVD2900

~Bob</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>I second that.</font>

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I'll third this idea, but would also like to see a stereo reciever review as well. &nbsp;I know how most would feel a pre-amp/power amp combo would be better, but if your looking at mid-fi anyways, you might not have the budget for that kind of setup (talking new here, used prices can vary too widely to be reliable).</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Mustange_Steve/Others;

I appreciate the type of face off review on receivers you wish us to write. &nbsp;Perhaps in the future this will become possible. &nbsp;However, we have a lot on our plate for the moment.

I wish to clear up a common misconception I continually hear on audio forums regarding &quot;midfi&quot;. &nbsp;What exactly is &quot;midfi&quot; these days? &nbsp;Does price dictate this? &nbsp;Marketing? &nbsp;Product Appeal? The weight of the chassis or thickness of the front faceplate?

The sad reality is we have often seen alleged &quot;hifi&quot; products being outperformed by much cheaper so called &quot;midfi&quot; products. &nbsp;

Receiver performance has come along way these days, especially with the amount of R&amp;D many of the major manufacturers are thowing at these products that most hifi companies simply cannot afford. &nbsp;

So I ask again, what defines &quot;hifi&quot;? &nbsp;Our most recent experiences have shown us that a midfi receiver absolutely wipes the floor clean of many of the alleged &quot;hifi&quot; processors. &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Maybe the country of origin also has a bearing to the mid-fi definition. With some, only products of certain origin can be considered to be audiophille grade Hi-Fi. Anything from any other region is strictly not good enough to be Hi-Fi.
</font>

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I just considered mid-fi to be the high-end consumer grade equipment, while the more esoteric brands are hi-fi (you, know...the kinds of equipment you only find at small stereo shops, the shops that usually sell planar-magnetic speakers and $300 interconnects).

To me it's not a separation of fidelity really, I'm just abusig a term slightly to refer to it's ease of acquiring. &nbsp;It's always far easier to go to circuit city, Fry's, Good Guys, HH Gregg or whaerever and picking up a Harmon/Kardon, Yamaha, or Onkyo as opposed to Sherbourne, NAD, Aragorn, or any of the other &quot;hi-fi&quot; brands.

Honestly, I do feel that the mid-fi hi-fi rift goes all the way across the board. &nbsp;I have seen low-cost speakers blow the doors off of far more impressive looking, and wel known speakers, as well as with other gear. &nbsp;so to me it's all a matter of how hard you have to look to get one.

low-fi: any component under $100, typical gloss black plastic finish, amps freq res. starts at 40hz, cd changers often use car-style cartidges or multiple trays to load from. Sometimes the DVD player is integrated to the reciever or even found as a &quot;home therter in a box&quot; system. This is the most common type of large audio system found in a home. &nbsp;Some shelf systems fall in here as well, with a very small percentage making it to mid-fi (hint: this brand often comes with properly made and well-known speakers, not some cheap thing made just for that system)

mid-fi: &nbsp;Any good quality component that is readily or somewhat readily availible, often has excellent price/performance ratio, and good to excellent build quality as well. &nbsp;Less common than low-fi, but the brands are still well known.

hi-fi: should be called hi-end more appropriately. &nbsp;Often focuses on every little detail, top-notch build quality, internals are often of hte best materials. &nbsp;The audio equivalent of a exotic-car buff. &nbsp;Equipment can be slightly expensive to outlandishly expensive (starting from a couple grand to upwards of $40k plus). &nbsp;Often found in specialty audio shops, and various online retailers. &nbsp;Most likely you only know a handful of people if that in real life at most who owns equipment in this category. You fall in this category when you tell someone what you have, and they give you a blank look until you say &quot;It's a really expensive stereo&quot;.

At least that's my scale for what falls under what category.

Yes I do know NAD makes a DVD/Receiver combo, they are an exception to the rule however.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis